IT Process Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Access to Operator Meta Data?

Posted Dec 09, 2014 08:38 AM

Is there a way for an operator to access its own meta data to retrieve things like its name, comments, or options? I have a use case where I need to programmatically find an operator's name. At first glance this would seem to be simple but I'm struggling to find a way to get the information.

Here's an example of what I'm attempting to do:

I want to log every action of every operator in a separate log file for our internal auditors. The format of the log file should be similar to this:

<time stamp>  [<process instance name>] [<operator name>] <logged message>

Example:

2014-12-09 08:04:02.482  [ProcessTesting_53165] [Configure_Network_Adapter_1] Attempting to assign the IP address

2014-12-09 08:04:02.912  [ProcessTesting_53165] [Configure_Network_Adapter_1] ERROR - This operator is in Blocked state

Getting the process instance name is trivial, but I need to be more precise with my logging. I need to include the operator name and I do NOT want to hard code it.

• 2.  Re: Access to Operator Meta Data?
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 09, 2014 08:41 AM

Hey James,

You should be able to reference “OpName” in pre/post execution in order to get the operator’s name.

Thanks,

Tom

• 3.  Re: Access to Operator Meta Data?

Posted Dec 09, 2014 08:58 AM

Good Lord I feel like a numbskull... I danced all around that yesterday but never tried the obvious.

• 4.  Re: Access to Operator Meta Data?

Posted Dec 09, 2014 09:05 AM

I’m not sure it’s very obvious…I bet a lot of folks who’ve used PAM for a long time would have to think hard about it…