Layer7 API Management

View Only
  • 1.  Unable to persist or store JWT Access Token

Posted May 13, 2020 02:12 PM
    Hi All,

I generated JWT Access Token but I'm unable to store it in the oauth_token table from where this token can be used for real time verification of the service request. I used the OTK Token Storage (access_token) encapsulated assertion to store the JWT access token in the database. Getting the below error:-

2020-05-13T18:10:28.061+0100 WARNING 31239 com.l7tech.external.assertions.jdbcquery.server.ServerJdbcQueryAssertion: 9104: "Perform JDBC Query" assertion failed due to: Data truncation: Data too long for column token at row 1

Please help, how can I store this JWT access Token so that it can be used in the service policies.

Regards,
    Rohan

• 2.  RE: Unable to persist or store JWT Access Token

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 13, 2020 06:26 PM
    Dear Rohan,
    As per my understanding, the validation of JWT doesn't require a call to server, you only need the right public key. 
    I don't see a reason to store JWT on server side.
    Usually the jwt is for a client, you can use set cookie assertion to pass the jwt to client.

Regards,
    Mark

• 3.  RE: Unable to persist or store JWT Access Token

Posted May 14, 2020 03:39 AM
    Hi Zhijun,

Thanks for replying.

As per my understanding of Oauth, the JWT access token which I generated and shared with client, the same JWT access token will only be sent by the client in the successive requests. So if gateway is not storing this token anywhere how will it identify and authorize the client.

I did not understand the use of set cookie assertion here. If possible can you please share any example of how to share the JWT access token with client and then validate it in the successive requests.

Regards,
    Rohan

• 4.  RE: Unable to persist or store JWT Access Token

Posted May 14, 2020 04:17 AM
    Edited by Deactivated User May 14, 2020 06:27 AM
    Hi Rohan,

When you use OTK Token Storage (access_token) assertion store it in the database that can be described as follows. So as you can see there is a limitation in oauth_token table of otk database here
    for token so if your jwt size is more than 128 it is going to fail.

Can you please explain your use case for JWT based token. You can do the mapping of JWT with Access Token in id_token table.

Also Are you trying to achieve this
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/layer7-api-management/api-management-oauth-toolkit/4-3/installation-workflow/configure-authentication/token-configuration/configure-jwt-access-tokens.html

------------------------------
    Pre-Sales Consultant
    CA Southern Africa

• 5.  RE: Unable to persist or store JWT Access Token

Posted May 14, 2020 08:30 AM
    Hello Rohan,

Is your JWT as plain Base64 encoded one ? If it is so, it is not secure, any one can read the payload in the JWT. Generally, you can Encrypt and/or Sign the JWT in the Gateway.  Similarly, you can Decode and Verify the JWT.

In a real world scenarios, a client would make a request to the server (Gateway) and pass the token with the request. The server would attempt to verify the token and, if successful, would continue processing the request. If the server could not verify the token, the server would send a 401 Unauthorized and a message saying that the request could not be processed as authorization could not be verified.

In case, Gateway is a client, and would want to make a request to other server, it can create a signed JWT with its own private key or as agreed on JWKS,  and send it to the server. Server can then verify it with Gateways public key, if valid can process it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Vaseem

• 6.  RE: Unable to persist or store JWT Access Token

Posted May 14, 2020 09:18 AM
    Hi All,
    Thanks for all your replies.

Yes I am trying to validate the JWT Access token which has been sent to the Gateway from the client application. I was not able to undesrstand if the Gateway is not storing the JWT Access token which it created and shared with the client, then how is it validating the same token when it is sent through the actual request.

But now I think the Gateway may not need to store the JWT access token. Instead the Gateway is storing the corresponding UUID access token, lifetime, scope etc. So when the client sends the JWT Access token, it is decoded and the parameters like UUID acees token, lifetime, etc are extrated which are then validated from the database.

Please let me know if my understanding is correct.

Regards,
    Rohan

• 7.  RE: Unable to persist or store JWT Access Token
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 14, 2020 07:49 PM
    Dear Rohan,
    Validating JWT is different with validating UUID token.
    JWT is signed by the issuer, when validate, you use the public key provided by the issuer to decrypt the JWT payload, if successful, then it's a valid jwt.

As per my understanding, the use case is like this,
    gateway generate and sign the jwt with a key in its keystore, use the set cookie assertion to store the jwt on client side, client sent the request with jwt in the cookie, gateway get the jwt payload from request cookie, use decode json web token assertion to validate the jwt using the key in its keystore.

so, it's not a compare, the service provider doesn't need to call/access the token issuer to validate the jwt, then the issuer has no need to store the jwt. That's the main difference between jwt and uuid token.

Regards,
    Mark

• 8.  RE: Unable to persist or store JWT Access Token

Posted May 15, 2020 11:28 AM
    Hi All,
    Thanks for your inputs. JWT access token validation is clear to me now.

Regards,
    Rohan

[Technology Architect]
    [Infosys Limited]