Layer7 API Management

View Only
  • 1.  JMS Delivery Mode

Posted May 10, 2017 10:58 AM

Hi 

The "request" tab of the JMS routing assertion dialog is highly misleading

I've built a small example policy with a JMS routing. I did not touch the request settings because according to the disabled controls, all values are OK for me. Persistent messages, default priority and no TTL.

However, if I call this policy, the sent messages are non-persistent!

When I just activate the request settings checkbox and do not touch the values, the messages are sent as persistent. 

I fully understand that the disabled control is no guarantee, but in my opinion this should be changed that the disabled dropdown shows the effective default value that is in place. 

Regards

Stephan

• 2.  Re: JMS Delivery Mode

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 11, 2017 11:23 AM

Stephan,

Good Afternoon. If you don't select the "Use Request Settings" then the values set from the request message properties are used in the JMS Delivery Mode, TTL, etc. This would assume a JMS to JMS type of interaction. If you want to change the behavior at the gateway then you would select the checkbox and set the values you want. If the client sending in the request is not over JMS then you will need to check the box and set the value which you want to use to send to the JMS server.

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes

Director, CA Support

• 3.  Re: JMS Delivery Mode

Posted May 11, 2017 11:42 AM

Hi Stephen

We have JMS to JMS cases with persistent messages, but because we recreate the request message in the policy, the behaviour of the gateway is like not-JMS to JMS. So it also depends on what you do in the policy. 

However, my point is that the 3 disabled controls for delivery-mode, priority and TTL contain values and I interpreted them as default values that are in place. The GUI looks like "when you want to change one of these values, tick the checkbox and change them". And this assumption is correct for priority and TTL. 

It is only the delivery-mode that seems to be persistent, but is non-persistent when the checkbox is not selected. 

So it is a usability thing of the GUI that misleads the user (at least me). Therefore I recommend to show the effective default value in the disabled control. 

Regards

Stephan

• 4.  Re: JMS Delivery Mode
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 11, 2017 12:09 PM

Stephan,

I can definitely see how this can be misleading even with them greyed out it looks as though this is what is being used. Please log an idea from our community so our product management team can review.

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes

Director, CA Support

• 5.  Re: JMS Delivery Mode

Posted May 12, 2017 02:21 AM

I have created the iea: Show the effective default value for JMS delivery mode 

Thanks Stephen