Layer7 API Management

View Only
  • 1.  Can I send a UDP packet (to statsd) from an assertion

Posted Apr 25, 2016 09:47 AM

We are attempting to implement some new policies in order to help our APIs scale up to billions of requests per day, as such we want to be able to get a better idea how our APIs and the various components in front of them are operating.  We would like to use StatsD to create some basic instrumentation; StatsD accepts UDP packets to increment counters, guages, etc.  Is there a simple (or any) way to send a UDP packet from an API Gateway policy?  We are using Layer 7 v8.3.

• 2.  Re: Can I send a UDP packet (to statsd) from an assertion

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 26, 2016 10:15 AM

Hi MarkTW,

We do not currently have an integration with statsd. However, it is possible to monitor some details via snmp if that will fit your requirement. This article will provide more details on configuring it

https://na32.salesforce.com/kA050000000LPgW?srPos=0&srKp=ka0&lang=en_US.

Regards,

Joe

• 3.  Re: Can I send a UDP packet (to statsd) from an assertion

Posted Apr 27, 2016 08:07 AM

Hi dasjo02, thanks for your response.  I've considered SNMP as well as a few other options, but can you answer the basic question: "Is there a way to send UDP packets/messages from assertions directly"?

• 4.  Re: Can I send a UDP packet (to statsd) from an assertion
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 27, 2016 09:23 AM

Unfortunately there is not currently a way to send UDP packets directly. It may be worth creating a communities idea on this as I imagine others would certainly have an application for this feature.