Layer7 API Management

View Only
  • 1.  Why no Support for JMS Durable Subscriptions?

Posted Jun 04, 2015 12:33 PM

Does the generic JMS functionality of the CA API Gateway (full-featured edition) have support for durable subscriptions as JMS destinations? It appears not based on our initial poking at version 8.3. This is an odd omission given that this is a standard feature of JMS 1.1, an API that has been defined and in commonplace usage for many many years now and usage only requires specifying a couple of simple parameters when defining a topic destination. Anyway we were planning to leverage topics and durable subscriptions in our use case (we happen to be using Qpid JMS library to achieve AMQP connectivity) but are now stuck unable to access certain topics durably. We could apply a workaround outside the context of the gateway to "stage" the messages of interest in normal queues for consumption by the gateway, but that adds unwanted complexity. Better would be for the gateway to support this standard type of JMS destination. Any chance of that happening in an imminent release?

• 2.  Re: Why no Support for JMS Durable Subscriptions?

Posted Jun 05, 2015 05:18 AM

Hi Mike

I'm quite inexperienced when it comes to JMS so I don't fully understand what a durable subscription is, I based my knowledge on:-

Open Messaging: Durable messages and persistent subscriptions

However I have had a look around the API Management support system and have found a similar request. It was suggested that the customer set the clientID under additional properties on the JNDI tab, which enable the durable subscription to be set.  Unfortunately solution was never confirmed so I'm unsure if this will work for you or not.  If not please raise request as an idea on this community and product management teams can review it for a future release.

Regards

Christopher Clark

CA Support

• 3.  Re: Why no Support for JMS Durable Subscriptions?

Posted Jun 09, 2015 01:36 PM

Thanks we'll see if we can add the properties as you suggest and confirm whether we get it working. Is there any reason you didn't include the details of (e.g., link to) that similar request that you dug up? I'll see if I can find it...

• 4.  Re: Why no Support for JMS Durable Subscriptions?

Posted Jun 10, 2015 07:50 PM

FYI we've chosen to not try to guess what syntax in JNDI might work and go a different direction that we know will work. We're leveraging ActiveMQ virtual destinations to make the messages available to the gateway on JMS queues instead of JMS topics.

• 5.  Re: Why no Support for JMS Durable Subscriptions?

Posted Jun 11, 2015 04:59 AM

Hi Mike

Thanks for confirmation, The 'similar request' was a support case raised a few years ago.  Support cases could contain customer confidential information so are not publically available.  It would be worthwhile raising a 'idea' via this API Management Community requesting support and documentation for JMS Durable Subscriptions. 

Regards

Chris