AppWorx, Dollar Universe and Sysload Community

View Only
  • 1.  Oracle Logins

Posted Sep 12, 2017 11:11 AM
    I am trying to figure out if there is a way to use service name instead of SID on the Oracle Logins in Applications Manager.  We have two sites.  At anytime we have an active and a passive site and we failover between them about every 3 months.  The two sites have there own databases with unique sids.  Because of this when we failover we have to go into every login and update the Service Name, Network Alias, and Host. 

To get around having to update the host it was easy enough to create a DNS entry for the database servers and use a script to point to the correct servers.

The JDBC connection strings for Oracle logins specify an Oracle SID (jdbc:oracle:thin:@<Host>:<Port>:<Oracle Sid>).  

What I would like to do is to be able to use the Oracle Service Names instead. (jdbc:oracle:thin:@//<Host>:<Port>:<Service Name>).

So the question is...Is there a way to switch the Oracle Logins to use the 2nd connection string instead of the first?

If it matters our Master is on UNIX and the agents are all on Windows.

Release: v9.0.1_28314_28331  Build: 28331
    Workstation Java VM: Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_45
    Server Java VM: IBM Corporation 1.6.0
    Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production
    Oracle JDBC driver 11.2.0.4.0

This is my first time posting here so please let me know if I left something out and thank you in advance for any help.

• 2.  Oracle Logins

Posted Sep 12, 2017 11:26 AM

I read this post and am not sure why you cannot use the service name. Any version of 9.x on the Applications Manager product deprecated the SID in favor of the service name. You can see an Oracle login from my 9.1.3 instance below:

bu2hbhvfinua.jpghttps://us.v-cdn.net/5019921/uploads/editor/0t/bu2hbhvfinua.jpg" width="625">

As long as the tnsnames.ora is configured on the server correctly to use the service name is should be fine doing that. What ojdbc files do you have in the master's $AW_HOME/web/classes directory?

• 3.  Oracle Logins

Posted Sep 12, 2017 12:25 PM
    I think I have narrowed down the issue. The service name is in the tnsnames.ora file but tnsping is failing.  I am working with our DBA's to figure out why the server cannot resolve the service name.  Thank you for the input, I think it helped me get on the right path. I'll update later if we still have issues once we figure out what is going on with that tnsping issue.

• 4.  Oracle Logins

Posted Sep 12, 2017 02:20 PM
    Douglas_Hammon_165 

The only ojdbc file is see in $AW_HOME is ojdbc6_signed.jar.

I added a TNS entry to the tnsnames.ora file on the master and the agent the job is processing on and I can tnsping the service name now.  However the the login continues to fail with the following error.

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

• 5.  Oracle Logins

Posted Sep 12, 2017 02:34 PM

The error generally relates to your local copy of the tnsnames.ora file, your listener configuration and                                    your database name aliases.

Is your listener showing the service name as recognized? If so you might need to open a ticket with support as this could require some troubleshooting on why the login is throwing this error.

• 6.  Oracle Logins

Posted Sep 12, 2017 03:05 PM
    I am able to tnsping the service name and I was also able to sqlplus using the service name and user that I tried putting into Applications Manger so it sounds like the listener is recognizing it.

I will look into opening up a ticket with support.  Thanks for your help.