Rally Software

View Only

Linking test cases to a user story

Karen Gwynn's profile image
Karen Gwynn posted Jan 27, 2021 09:14 AM
We are adding new functionality to our product, so I have created a series of test cases for this feature. Each test case represents different scenarios for using the feature (e.g., different combinations of settings, different user profiles, etc.). Now I want to associate some of these test cases to specific user stories. I've been using the Link to Existing button and all worked fine until today. I created a new set of test cases that I want to link to a user story. When I select the Test Folder, the selector shows 0 test cases. The folder has test cases!

Furthermore, I instead of identifying a specific Test Folder, I select my project only, the selector indicates over 400 test cases, but I only have one "page" worth of test cases to select from. Have I hit a maximum somewhere?

Andrea Schilde's profile image
Broadcom Employee Andrea Schilde
Hi @Karen Gwynn,

do you still see this issue happening?

I am able to access test foldesr and test cases via the 'link existing' functionality that you described.
Sometimes test folders load with a delay, however, so initially it might look like there are none. Try searching via test folder ID or name instead.

The print screen you added to your post is a modal where you have to refine your results via search.
'Showing 25 of 497 items. Search to narrow results.' Have you tried this and does that yield the results you were looking for?

Thanks,

Andrea
Karen Gwynn's profile image
Karen Gwynn
So, apparently this was a user misunderstanding.

The Test Cases that I had recently created did, eventually appear when I went to link them to a User Story. I don't know that I had experienced a lag time before, but now I know.

As for the issue that I illustrated with the image, I now understand that to narrow the scope of the results, I need to make a selection of some type. That this look up is not intended for a user to scroll through a long list. That said, I do find it frustrating that UI elements that appear to have the same purpose behave differently in different situations.

For example, some of these lookup dialogs have the filters in what seems to be a logical order (Project, then Object type, then ID) while others, such as the one for linking existing test cases, are in a different order (Test Cases, then Project). For me, I don't have test cases in all my projects, so this isn't too difficult to navigate, but it is slightly annoying.

But as for the issue posted: all is fine.. thanks!