Layer7 API Management

View Only

Layer 7 Gateway v10 fresh install

Shelton Smith's profile image
Shelton Smith posted Jun 22, 2021 09:31 AM
Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my Layer 7 version 8.4 to version 10. In preparing for this upgrade we will be also making other changes such as hardware and other things so I wanted to do some testing and fact finding to understand the impacts and process for this upgrade.

My question is since the version we're currently running is so old do I have to upgrade to version 9.x first in order to get to version 10? Or can I do a fresh install of version 10? I've looked through all of the documentation and I didnt not find a straight answer. In theory I would just backup a copy of my current DB, do a fresh version 10 install and then drop that backup in place. Any guidance and thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Deactivated User's profile image
Deactivated User
  • The  Manual Expedited Upgrade Procedure described below consists of installing a new Gateway, then manually migrating data from the older Gateway version. The current procedure is supported for migrating from Gateway 9.x to Gateway 10.0.
  • An alternative to this manual procedure is the Automated Expedited Upgrade Procedure. The benefits of the automated procedure include ease of backup and configuration (running playbooks containing scripted tasks), and the ability to upgrade multiple Gateway clusters simultaneously. The Automated Expedited Upgrade procedure is only supported for migrating data from Gateway 9.4 to Gateway 10.0.
  • The Standard Upgrade Procedure using sequential platform patches is not supported between 9.x to 10.x

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/layer7-api-management/api-gateway/10-0/install-configure-upgrade/upgrade-the-gateway/upgrade-an-appliance-gateway/manual-expedited-appliance-upgrade.html

You will have to upgrade till version 9.4 and only then you can perform an expedited upgrade.

Another way would be using GMU 

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/layer7-api-management/api-gateway/10-0/gateway-migration/gmu-command-help.html which we did for one of our clients. But the version for 9.2 to 9.4 not sure if it work for older version

$ ./GatewayMigrationUtility.sh migrateOut --argFile commonarguments.properties --all --dest all.xml

and then use migrateIn to import all the policies.

I would recommend doing and upgrade to 9.x and then perform upgrade to 10. using manual upgrade procedure