Layer7 API Management

View Only

Is there a limit in the no of characters allowed in the gateway for URL query parameters?

Abhishek_Bose's profile image
Abhishek_Bose posted Sep 23, 2021 04:03 AM
We've a customer that is planning to use gateway for an OData backed API where the URL filter could include a large no (100 to 200 approx) of query params.

I've tried to look up the the documentation to see if there is any such limitation but couldn't find so posting my question here if anyone can answer this?

Thanks
Jay MacDonald's profile image
Broadcom Employee Jay MacDonald
There is no limit on the query string, per se, nor the number of parameters that can be set, but there is a hard limit of 8192 bytes on the length of the entire request context, including headers. If you need a longer request context please open a support ticket.
Jay MacDonald's profile image
Broadcom Employee Jay MacDonald

Belay that previous response - it turns out that there is a setting to increase the accepted size of a GET query in the Gateway to above 8192. Refer to https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/layer7-api-management/api-gateway/10-0/security-configuration-in-policy-manager/tasks-menu-security-options/manage-listen-ports/listen-port-properties.html where it says:

"The default maximum HTTP header size for a listen port is 8KB (8192 bytes). This should suffice in most instances. However this value may need to be increased for exceptional use cases (for example, running many iterations in the Run Assertions for Each Item Assertion). To do this, add the advanced property: maxHttpHeaderSize = <new value in bytes>"

Thus if you run against the 8192 ceiling you can increase it by opening the Manage Listen Ports dialogue and for the listener select the Advanced tab and add the maxHttpHeaderSize property.

Abhishek_Bose's profile image
Abhishek_Bose
Hello Jay,

I'm aware of this, infcat we already have this valued doubled in our gateway config but this is related to the http headers, what I wanted to check is the limit on the URLquery params.I couldn't find anything in the documentation that talks about this hence wanted to check here.If there is no hard limit set in the gateway,I'll ask the team to test and if they're getting any error I'll either post it here or raise a support case.

Thanks
ABhishek Bose