Rally Software

View Only

How do I make a custom query that can search based off the selected iteration?

Katrina Fishman's profile image
Katrina Fishman posted Jan 13, 2021 01:00 PM

I have this custom query:

((WorkProduct.Iteration.Name = "2020 PI 4.4 - Global eCom") AND ((Project.Name = "Team Electric") OR (Project.Name = "Team Core")))

Instead of manually adding the iteration name I'd like it to pull from the dropdown. Can anyone help me with this?

David LeDeaux's profile image
Broadcom Employee David LeDeaux
Hi Katrina,

I don't think that's going to be possible here with this app because the Iteration filtering option is only going to act on the primary object type that is selected in the app; in this case test cases.  And test cases do not have an iteration association directly.

This would probably need to be a custom app.  There's an example of how to build an app using timebox filtering here: https://rally1.rallydev.com/docs/en-us/saas/apps/2.1/doc/index.html#!/guide/timebox_filtering
Terry Ginzburg's profile image
Terry Ginzburg
One trick I use, if you always want to see test cases tied to work products in the current iteration is this:

((WorkProduct.Iteration.StartDate >= today) AND (WorkProduct.Iteration.EndDate <= today))

That only works for the 'current' iteration, although you could use some other date logic like today-14 or lastmonth.  This page from their help content spells out various date variables: https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/agile-development-and-management/rally-platform-ca-agile-central/rally/customizing-top/use-apps/use-grid-app-queries.html#concept.dita_1218a6580569b57cce751cb80882c3e9b2ddae4b_operators
Christopher Pola's profile image
Broadcom Employee Christopher Pola
Hello Katrina,

This response is not a direct answer to your post, as Dave and Terry have provided good information here. I'm just curious do you only run this type of query just for Test Cases or Test Sets and Stories too? I was thinking about the Work Views page in Rally Plan > Work Views to run this query, yet I know that will have the same limitations as the App, because as Dave mentioned Test Cases do not have a direct Iteration association.