View Only

PPM Insights: Deep Dive into the New Health Report

By Aurora_Gaimon posted Jul 07, 2017 03:51 AM


We’re lucky to live in a world where everything is dynamic and evolving. Someone, somewhere is always making enhancements to tools we use on regular basis—including software. However, when new functionalities are incorporated into applications, it is sometimes rightly viewed as adding more complexity to infrastructure environments.


But it doesn’t have to be that way. What we really need is a good set of administration tools, like a complete health report. Summarizing the status of all systems on a single page can save tons of troubleshooting time and overheard.


You may be thinking: “That’s awesome; do we have a health report in CA PPM?” The answer is “Yes, the CSA page contains a health report tab. This is a legacy from previous CA PPM versions, when we didn’t incorporate a data warehouse or have an embedded reporting tool like Jaspersoft, and we weren’t able to generate extended reports. The good news is that CA PPM can now supply health reports.”


Read on for more details.



In what CA PPM version is the new health report available?

It’s in CA PPM (patch 4), 15.2.x and higher versions. The new health report is in the administration menu and shows the status of all systems (application, database, data warehouse and reporting). It detects incorrect setups and any non-compliant governor limits.



How does it work?
First of all, take the following preliminary steps:

Rights: Only administrators should be allowed access. Ensure that your administrators have the following rights:

  • Administration - Application Setup global access right
  • Jobs - Access global access right
  • Jobs - Run - All (or at least the instance level right for running Job - Run on Tomcat access log import/analyze job)
  • Administration - Access to access the administrator menu

Also, administrators must be added to the Log Analysis Access group to access the health report page.

Jobs: Run Tomcat access log import/analyze.

Run Health Report:

  • From the UI (User Interface), go to the Administration menu in the Security and Diagnostics section and click on Health Report.

  • On the command line, enter the following command: admin healthcheck


Analyze Results:

Now we’re ready to finally review the report, which contains five tabs:


  • Summary: This tab shows the “% Completed” calculated from the total number of settings that require a value during a new install or upgrade. 

  • Green icon: 100% completed.
  • Red icon: The percentage that has been completed correctly. For example, in this screenshot, 81% of database settings have been completed correctly, so the remaining 19% of database settings are incorrect.


  • Application: This tab shows application server details. Settings include file locations, URLs, Java version, JVM, LDAP, SSO, SSL, ports, and instance-specific configurations for CSA, background (bg), and beacon services.


  • Database: This tab provides information about database connectivity, table spaces, options, and parameters.


  • Data Warehouse: This tab provides information about data warehouse connectivity, table spaces, option, and parameters. Settings include JDBC URL, database time zone mismatch, database size, and ETL job timeout for the Load Data Warehouse job. This tab also includes setup information for time slices and other application settings for the data warehouse. 


  • Reporting: This tab identifies the health status of the Jaspersoft report server.



What does the “Fix It” link mean?

The Fix It link appears when the non-compliant setting can be corrected from an application page. For example, in this screenshot, the red icon and Fix It link appear to help you set up Weekly Slices.



Click on Fix It to navigate to the Time Slices page.



Can we download the Health Report?

Yes. You can import it two different ways.

  • From the Download Health Report button
  • From the Excel Icon (top-right icon)



Is the health report feature available in SaaS environments?

Yes, but with restrictions. Database and data warehouse tabs do not list the following items:

  • Database parameters
  • SQLNET parameters



For readers interested in more detail, check out DocOps. I encourage you to participate in the best-in-class CA Communities site, where you have access to your peers, events and support. You can also reach out to CA Services for information about CA PPM Release 15.2 upgrades/implementations, and individualized business outcome references and analysis. Feel free to post in the comments section of this blog or contact me directly via email and Twitter @aurora_ppm.