Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Upgraded to SEP 14.7, Now Receiving "CRITICAL: NETWORK LOAD ALERT: Too many requests for Virus and Spyware full definitions" Error

Posted Apr 24, 2023 08:59 PM

Long-time SEP administrator, I recently upgraded our in-house version from 14.6 to 14.7, and now we're receiving "CRITICAL: NETWORK LOAD ALERT: Too many requests for Virus and Spyware full definitions" every few days. I've never seen this warning/error alert before. Less than 100 SEP clients in our org. Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Upgraded to SEP 14.7, Now Receiving "CRITICAL: NETWORK LOAD ALERT: Too many requests for Virus and Spyware full definitions" Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 25, 2023 11:09 AM

Perhaps this - Endpoint Protection Manager sends Network Load Alert emails after deploying client upgrade?

• 3.  RE: Upgraded to SEP 14.7, Now Receiving "CRITICAL: NETWORK LOAD ALERT: Too many requests for Virus and Spyware full definitions" Error

Posted Apr 28, 2023 02:54 PM
    Edited by Lyle Stewart Apr 28, 2023 02:54 PM

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the link. No, unfortunately, we fully upgraded weeks ago (including the clients) and yet these alerts continue to be sent every couple of days. I've never seen these in all my years of managing SEP. It only started once I migrated to 14.7. At the head of the alert email, it states, "49 requests for Virus and Spyware full definitions received in the past 10 minutes. This situation could indicate a potential network overload. ". I would assume this same client request behavior was present in 14.6 so I'm unsure why I'm seeing these alerts now in 14.7, unless 14.7 included a setting change someplace?

• 4.  RE: Upgraded to SEP 14.7, Now Receiving "CRITICAL: NETWORK LOAD ALERT: Too many requests for Virus and Spyware full definitions" Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 30, 2023 11:46 PM

It is a notification condition that isn't new to RU7. It is in SEPM> Monitors> Notifications> Notification Conditions. It is triggered by clients repeatedly requesting full updates from SEPM. Clients normally do this if the SEPM does not have a record of previous content versions from which it can build an incremental update for the requesting client. It may happen after an client upgrade because of a change in update content structure for new version and normally should resolve itself when the new SEPM downloads updates. If it hasn't resolved itself, then make sure your SEPM is downloading updates and you've selected the correct content types in SEPM> Admin> Site> Site Properties> LiveUpdate. Please open a case with support if you need help with further troubleshooting.

• 5.  RE: Upgraded to SEP 14.7, Now Receiving "CRITICAL: NETWORK LOAD ALERT: Too many requests for Virus and Spyware full definitions" Error

Posted May 17, 2023 12:11 PM

Hi Ed, thanks for the info. It may not be new in RU7, but that notification is definitely happening now that we've moved to RU7 where it never did before, so that notification has apparently been enabled by default now. It's still happening on a weekly (or more) basis, but the clients and server seem to be operating as they should, so I'm going to live with it. At least for now, anyway. Thanks for your feedback!