Messaging Gateway

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SMG 10.8.1 shipping today

• 1.  SMG 10.8.1 shipping today

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 01, 2023 12:20 PM

SMG release 10.8.1 is shipping today.

The software should be available on the software update repositories in approximately 3 hrs.

The release notes are posted at:

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/dam/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/dita/symantec-security-software/email-security/messaging-gateway/generated-pdfs/smg_release_notes_10_8_1.pdf

• 2.  RE: SMG 10.8.1 shipping today

Posted Jun 01, 2023 12:23 PM
    Omg. You rock. Thanks.

• 3.  RE: SMG 10.8.1 shipping today

Posted Jun 01, 2023 12:34 PM
    Nice. Does it fix that pesky problem with the 10.8.0-7 update?

We have never applied 10.8.0-7 because of the problem.

Can we update from 10.7.5-4 straight to 10.8.1 ?

• 4.  RE: SMG 10.8.1 shipping today

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 01, 2023 12:49 PM

Please take a look at the release notes, as we call out the issues resolved, and those not resolved in that document.  If you don't see the issue you are concerned about mentioned in there, let me know and I'll follow up.

Yes, you can upgrade directly from 10.7.5 to 10.8.1

• 5.  RE: SMG 10.8.1 shipping today

Posted Jun 01, 2023 01:40 PM
    Hi Thomas,

It’s the broken backup issue that was discussed in this thread:

https://community.broadcom.com/symantecenterprise/discussion/after-upgraded-to-1080-cron-deamon-sends-mail-every-5-minutes

Apparently there was a hotfix for it, but it didn’t seem to help.

I even opened a case with Broadcom Support for this, but for some reason I can’t find the case in my support portal anymore to see where we ended up on that topic.

• 6.  RE: SMG 10.8.1 shipping today

Posted Jun 06, 2023 09:31 AM

Hi Andrey - I don't know if the latest version fixes that backup problem for those of you for whom the various solutions already discussed didn't work, but I thought I would report back that after installing this new version my daily reports failed last night (i.e. similar to one of the parts of the previous problem) and to fix it all I needed to do was to to admin -> control center -> smtp and switch from using the default relay settings to explicitly defining the IP address and smtp port of the control centre itself. I presume thats another place than where I set it as part of solving the backup issue for myself and the update didn't forget the settings I had previously applied.

Good luck with your ongoing problems with the backup issue, I somehow doubt the info above will help you but hopefully it will help others waking up and finding their daily/weekly/monthly reports have failed again.

• 7.  RE: SMG 10.8.1 shipping today

Posted Jun 06, 2023 09:48 AM
    Thank you, Jim. I didn’t get to experience the backup problems myself because we didn’t upgrade to the 10.8.0-7 version.

• 8.  RE: SMG 10.8.1 shipping today

Posted Jun 14, 2023 04:26 AM

Well, that fix actually didn't work, scheduled reports are still failing, yet when I run them manually they work just fine.

• 9.  RE: SMG 10.8.1 shipping today

Posted Jul 12, 2023 03:56 AM

Just in case anyone else finds my previous post whilst searching for trouble with scheduled reports, I finally fixed this by editting all my scheduled reports and putting in a ficticious "from" email address (the "SMG_Reporting" email that SMG suggests when you create a new report) where I previously had my own email address. Given how many phishing attempts use generic system email addresses in their deception I always think its best to use my actual address so my users can tell it is something I have set up, and who to contact if they have any doubts about it, but given that these only get sent to myself and my director this is not really an issue. I assume having the same email address in to and from fields was causing the failure.

On  a separate note I am now seeing a lot of log entries for conduit failure to get antivirus and/or antispam updates, however both are always up to date when I check so I am ascribing these to transient network issues, either with our ISP or Symantec.com and can safely be ignored.

• 10.  RE: SMG 10.8.1 shipping today

Posted Jul 12, 2023 05:59 AM
    Had those same issues for months

• 11.  RE: SMG 10.8.1 shipping today

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 14, 2023 01:32 PM

Regarding the scheduled reports issue, even though you have self resolved the issue, may I please ask that you open a request with customer support?  Your point regarding "system email addresses" is well taken and I would like to get more information on the failures you were seeing when using your "legitimate" email as the "from address" and see if we can make improvements.

Regarding the conduit errors, there was some maintenance performed on the edge servers a little while back, but if you continue to see these things on an ongoing basis, please let us know, so we can follow up.

• 12.  RE: SMG 10.8.1 shipping today

Posted Jul 24, 2023 06:31 PM
    So we skipped the 10.8.0-7 version hoping that the scheduled backup bug would be fixed and went straight to version 10.8.1 the other day.

Sure enough, all our scheduled backups are showing Failed now.

What’s the latest on how to deal with this?

Thanks!

• 13.  RE: SMG 10.8.1 shipping today

Posted Jul 24, 2023 07:05 PM
    What I found is that the backups have to be recreated as the database was updated. Once the backup schedule was deleted and recreated, all backups worked for me.

• 14.  RE: SMG 10.8.1 shipping today

Posted Jul 10, 2023 10:44 AM

Sorry - where are these update repositories?  I can only see 10.6 listed in my available downloads?

The only link I can find in my account is this one: https://support.broadcom.com/group/ecx/productfiles?sellable=MES70818&release=10.6&os=&servicePk=0&language=EN

My license is good through 2024

• 15.  RE: SMG 10.8.1 shipping today

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 10, 2023 11:28 AM

Try looking under "Messaging Gateway'  NOT "Messaging Gateway for Service Providers" (which is a different product).

• 16.  RE: SMG 10.8.1 shipping today

Posted Jul 10, 2023 12:17 PM
    indeed

• 17.  RE: SMG 10.8.1 shipping today

Posted Jul 14, 2023 12:43 PM

Any chance you can build a 10.8 release for us "Messaging Gateway for Service Providers" users?

My old 10.6 is struggling with a bunch of problems, even though my license is good for another year...

• 18.  RE: SMG 10.8.1 shipping today

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 14, 2023 01:23 PM

Do you have support cases opened for the issues?   I haven't seen anything come in for SMG-SP for quite some time, so I'm a bit surprised to hear that you are having issues.  I have sent a contact request, so I can follow up with you.