alexander smg

alexander smgAug 06, 2019 05:24 AM

alexander smg

alexander smgAug 19, 2019 07:44 AM

alexander smg

alexander smgSep 11, 2019 06:01 PM

• 1.  PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Jul 23, 2019 03:34 PM

So how is everyone dealing with this, since version 10.7.0-5 started blocking messages with PDFs with embedded Javascript?

We have a lot of business emails going back and forth which contain legitimate PDFs with embedded forms that are based on Javascript.

I thought version 10.7.1-6 would be an improvement?  We just updated to v 10.7.1-6 and it is not any better.

I bascially had to remove the JS extention from the executable attachment list, otherwise our business is negatively impacted.

But this means that anyone can send a JS file just like that, which is not good.

• 2.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Jul 24, 2019 03:13 PM
    I think it's temporary. I would also have done what u did. It's okay, u have not compromised your security. Lates.

• 3.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Jul 25, 2019 10:15 AM

I have too the same problem. Symantec please fix all the bugs from bad this version

• 4.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Jul 25, 2019 03:00 PM
    Just disable or allow .js files

• 5.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Aug 01, 2019 06:57 AM

We have the same problem. Disarm can cut js from pdfs, but then moved to quarantine. Allowing .js files is not a good idea ( security reasons).

I hobe Symantec will fix this.

• 6.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Aug 01, 2019 06:59 AM
    Just allow. Js for now for pdf. Then we are good

• 7.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Aug 01, 2019 09:53 AM

Per Rule ?  Attackers are creative, then they send pdf and js files seperately. 

How can i check that the js is in the pdf ?

• 8.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Aug 05, 2019 03:00 AM

is there a fix about this issue?

• 9.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Aug 05, 2019 07:54 AM
    What version if smg are u installed at?

• 10.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Aug 05, 2019 08:11 AM

10.7.1-6

• 11.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Aug 05, 2019 07:37 PM
    I would allow .js so much easier. You could open a support request with symantec.

• 12.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Aug 06, 2019 03:15 AM

"This issue has been addressed to the development team and they are working on a fix for the issue. They have identified a fix however it still has to go through some testing post which the fix will be rolled out in the next patch release. No idea on an ETA on it for now." -Symantec Support

• 13.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Aug 06, 2019 05:24 AM

Now u feel better having an official answer?

• 14.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Aug 16, 2019 03:11 AM

Was hoping to check with you if you had a chance to install the patch said below to verify if that resolves the issue we are seeing with Disarm PDF attachments getting stripped off. 

Here are the steps: 

1. Log in to the CLI of the SMG as admin
    2. Run the command patch -p 10.7.1-276 install (No reboot is required)

After installing this patch, please test the issue and let me know if it works. 

• 15.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Aug 19, 2019 07:44 AM
    Do the patch

• 16.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Sep 11, 2019 07:08 AM
    Hope it worked. I don't have .js issues with my pdf's

• 17.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Sep 11, 2019 07:11 AM

pls if i set disarm and document have certificate signature, the certificate is removed. In disarm is selected pdf and javascript. If i send pdf only with certificate the certificate is removed. Is solution how deliver signed pdf document ?  

thanx

• 18.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Sep 11, 2019 07:12 AM

thank you,

pls if i set disarm and document have certificate signature, the certificate is removed. In disarm is selected pdf and javascript. If i send pdf only with certificate the certificate is removed. Is solution how deliver signed pdf document ?  

thanx

• 19.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Sep 11, 2019 06:01 PM
    Turn off disarm for pdf.

• 20.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 17, 2019 06:38 PM

I think there has been a lot of confusion around this issue and proposed mitigations, I'll try and clear things up, as best I can.  First step:  you definitely want to get to version 10.7.1 AND apply patch p276.  This ensures you have the latest base, bug fixes, and vulnerability mitigations.  Next I'll make one (NOT approved, sanctioned, or otherwise encouraged by SYMC , just MY opinion) editorial statement:  I think JavaScript is an industry sanctioned RCE, and a malware vector that just begs to be exploited.  (I don't know about you guys, but I make it a general practice to NOT allow remote command execution to occur on machines that I control).  Having gotten that off my chest, I'll show you how to create a policy that will leave JavaScript, embedded in PDFs, alone.  If/when/how to use it is up to you, your concience, and your business needs.

First, the basic assumptions:
    You have a policy, called "Delete Executable Files Violations" which contains the condition "If the attachment or body part is in the attachment list" and the attachment list in question is "Executable Files (default)".  If you are using a different policy name, or attachment list name, then substitute that policy/attachment list in the following instructions.

1. Create a new attachment list named 'PDFs'

2. Add TruType 'Portable Document Format' to the list.
        a. Click 'If the True file type'
        b. Click the File class 'Word Processor Document'
        c. Click 'Portable Document Format'
        d. Click 'Add'
    3. Save

4. Edit the policy "Delete Executable Files Violations"
    5. Click 'Disable decomposition of files in the list'
    6. Select the attachment list "PDFs" that you just created.
    7. Save

Now, your "Delete Executable Files Violations" policy has a new virtual 'AND' condition:  'AND the attachment in question is NOT found within a PDF.'  Note that it ONLY afffects the one policy; it does NOT affect any other policy, or AV detection, or Disarm processing.  You have, effectively, given a "bye" to JavaScript ONLY when it is embedded in a PDF.

However, you don't want to stop here, because the above policy opens up a hole for other executables (besides JavaScript) to slip through if they are embedded inside of a PDF.  To resolve this you need to create a second file list and a second policy.

CAVEAT/WARNING:  this second policy may have performace implications, also it is entirely possible for both policies to fire on the same message, which may lead to some confusing looking entries it the Message Audit Log 

With warning in hand, here are the steps to create the second policy:

1. Create a copy of the attachment list "Executable Files (default)" named "Executable Files (without .js)"
    2. Delete 'Extension is js'
    3. Save

4. Create a copy of the policy "Delete Executable Files Violations" called "Delete Executable Files Violations inside PDFs"
    5. Uncheck 'Disable decomposition of files in the list'
    6. Edit the condition 'If the attachment or body part is in the attachment list "Executable Files (default)"'
    7. Change the attachment list to "Executable Files (without .js)"
    8. Click 'Update Condition'
    9. Add a new condition
    10. Select 'Attachment or body part is in the attachment list'
    11. Select the attachment list "PDFs"
    12. Select the two 'attachment list' conditions
    13. Click '(X & Y)'
    14. Ensure that the correct Policy Groups are selected
    15. Save

This new policy will detect any non Javascript executables attached inside PDFs.

Of course you want to test this locally against some test policy group and ensure that it meets your business needs before going live, but I don't have to say that, right?

You now have a schizophrenic system that allow JavaScript through, as long as its embedded in a PDF, otherwise it will block it (assuming you are still using the default policy).  If you have any doubt about the implications of "schizophrenic computers", just watch/re-watch 2001 A Space Odyssey.  (I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that...)

Good Luck guys! :)

• 21.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Mar 24, 2024 06:51 AM

You Are a LEGEND Buddy .. BIG THANKS For Your Effort ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ

• 22.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Mar 24, 2024 06:53 AM
    Thank you. Yes, I am a legend.

• 23.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Mar 24, 2024 08:22 AM

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

• 24.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Posted Mar 24, 2024 08:24 AM
    Thatโ€™s awesome. Nice.

• 25.  RE: PDFs with embedded Javascript in v 10.7.0-5 and later

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 18, 2019 03:10 PM

I responded to this over in the thread you started, specific for this issue: 

https://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/disarm-pdf-document