Symantec IT Risk and Compliance Product Group

View Only
  • 1.  Report Data Synchronization Best Practice

Posted May 25, 2011 03:46 PM

Question:  When scheduling multiple data collection/evaluation jobs that run during off-hours, is it necessary to have each do a reporting database sync or can I just schedule one at the end of the night's processing for all of them?

Thanks

Mike 

• 2.  RE: Report Data Synchronization Best Practice

Posted May 25, 2011 11:42 PM

That is an excellent question!!!

Basically, Report data syncronization is needed to get data from the production and evaluation databases into the reporting database, so that, whatever reports you want to see, would be available.

So, if you do not have any reporting job's , or if you have all your reporting job's scheduled at night, then there is only report job sync job needed, which would be at night, just before the reporting  job runs( Reports are scheduled, i mean)

• 3.  RE: Report Data Synchronization Best Practice

Posted Jun 01, 2011 12:45 PM

There is a per-job setting for evaluations to 'synchronize with reporting database'. When unchecked, that evaluation result will never propagate to the reporting database, any reports or dashboards. This feature is used to prevent undesired production results while testing new standards or conducting remediation cycles.

If you choose, you can disable automatic synchronization from General > Reporting Synchronization but I would not expect dramatically different results since the reporting synchronization steps are always based on new results.

• 4.  RE: Report Data Synchronization Best Practice

Posted Jun 21, 2011 09:07 AM

Yes, you can use one job only to sync reports.

• 5.  RE: Report Data Synchronization Best Practice

Posted Jul 12, 2011 01:40 PM

It would be great if the "default" setting was for the synchronization check box to be "un-checked". If someone requires the synch its easier to check it, and with the current default setting, even after un-checking it then you have to click OK at the warning prompt. Not great for production.

• 6.  RE: Report Data Synchronization Best Practice

Posted Dec 14, 2011 11:11 AM

Will the sync caused lots of traffic or use lots of CPU?