Broadcom Customer Care

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

9580-8i8e SLES15 SP4 installation incorrect on multiple logical drives

• 1.  9580-8i8e SLES15 SP4 installation incorrect on multiple logical drives

Posted Jun 15, 2023 10:49 AM

Virtual disk numbering starts at 239.  Each additional virtual disk is numbered lower than 239.  The SLES15 SP4 installer always assigns /dev/sda to the virtual disk with the lowest number.  Attempts to install SLES15 SP4 on multiple logical drives is always incorrect. Creating virtual disks in reverse order also does not work as numbering is not predictable. Example:

1x900GB RAID0 Logical Drive created 1st becomes Virtual Disk # 239 

2x900GB RAID0 Logical Drive created 2nd becomes Virtual Disk # 237

3x900GB RAID0 Logical Drive created 3rd becomes Virtual Disk # 236

Autoyast xml file contains <device>/dev/sda</device> with partitions /, root, var, boot, etc.

SUSE installer creates /dev/sda on virtual disk 236. This is incorrect, should be virtual disk 239.  The SUSE installer does not allow changing this /dev/sda assignment.

/dev/sdb and /dev/sdc may be either virtual disk 237 or 236 and autoyast contains the mount points for each. All logical drives are different sizes intentionally because they are used for different purposes. 

Server is HPE DL385 Gen11.  Same problem also exists with HPE branded MR (megaraid, MR408i-o) raid controllers as well.  With the MR controllers, creating logical drives in reverse order seems to work as long as the Boot Device is set to None.  Setting the Boot Device to virtual disk # 239 will result in incorrect mapping of virtual disks to scsi device names.

HPE SR controllers' number the logical drives starting at 1 and incrementing +1 for each additional logical drive.  Installation on these controllers is as expected and works. But HPE offers no RAID Controller with Cache for external connection to external storage (which I need) for the Gen11 servers - this is why I am testing the 9580-8i8e.

I have a support case opened with HP for the MR408i-o.  I have also contacted Broadcom Support for assistance with the 9580-8i8e but the case lingers.  Is it possible to offer the user an option to modify virtual drive numbering? Perhaps a choice between standard numbering and incremental sequential numbering? 

I have already tested flashing 9580-8i8e with fw v52.24.0-4763 and PSoC v1.25.  I see a new fw version 5.250.00-3847 but the change history indicates no changes in virtual disk numbering, so I haven't tried it.

• 2.  RE: 9580-8i8e SLES15 SP4 installation incorrect on multiple logical drives

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 15, 2023 10:50 AM

Hi @steve drake,

We do not have a support community for this product. Please use the following link to get support for MegaRAID and HBAs.
    https://www.broadcom.com/support/storage

------------------------------
    Regards,
    Ravi Kumar
    Customer Care Community Admin
    Broadcom Software
    ------------------------------