Broadcom Customer Care

View Only
  • 1.  Virtual drive no longer seen

Posted Jan 29, 2022 06:10 PM

MegaRAID SAS 9271-8 with RAID6 array of 5 drives, used as secondary storage on a Windows 10 system. Bad advice permanently disabled my Windows installation. I had a reference link on my Windows drive (C:) to my user profile, stored on the RAID drive (D:). Since I had to reinstall Windows I didn't want it to do any harm to the existing user profile or try to move it to Windows.old, so I shut down and physically disconnected the 5 drives (easy to do with removable bays), booted without them, and installed Windows 10. Then I shut down and closed all the drive doors again and booted up.

But now when I boot the MegaRAID BIOS says 0 virtual drives. I'm sure I just have to tell it the array exists, but I don't want to accidentally recreate the array in a way that deletes the existing one.

How can I get my RAID6 array back? The BIOS does recognize the drives are there. It just doesn't know they're part of a virtual drive for some reason.

So far I can't get logged into MSM, so I may need to use the Ctrl-Y interface to the BIOS, or wait until I get MSM working (says "Serves could not be found").

• 2.  RE: Virtual drive no longer seen

Posted Jan 29, 2022 09:43 PM

Resolved.

I was able to find an early version of MSM that discovered correctly, then the document on how use MSM to restore an array when all drives show as unconfigured bad. That procedure worked perfectly on the older MSM.

• 3.  RE: Virtual drive no longer seen

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 31, 2022 02:37 AM
    Hi @Don Stauffer,

Please use the following link to get support for MegaRAID and HBAs. The team will assist you further.
    https://www.broadcom.com/support/storage

Knowledge Base
    How do I create a support ticket for LSI storage products?

------------------------------
    Regards,
    Ravi Kumar
    Customer Care Community Admin
    Broadcom Software
    ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Virtual drive no longer seen

Posted Jan 31, 2022 01:02 PM

Hi,

Was this email in error?  It is not relevant to the purchase of an S550 appliance hardware.

How do we purchase this appliance to install the EDR locally?

John

John Wiley

Vice President IT/Driver Relations/Safety
    D8EBD02D-5AF4-4E56-ADA1-BA275A890CE0

N118 W18574 Bunsen Drive

Germantown, Wisconsin 53022

P: 262.345.3451 | C: 414.588.1155 | F: 262.345.3454

john@dgtransportation.com

www.dgtransportation.com

IMPORTANT: The sender intends that this electronic message is for the exclusive use of the person to whom it is addressed. This message may contain information that is confidential. If the reader of this message is not an intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication, or the use of its contents, is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, then please immediately notify the sender of your inadvertent receipt and delete this message from all data storage systems. Thank you