Symantec Developer Group

View Only
  • 1.  "Check For Tasks" com object?

Posted Mar 25, 2014 12:16 AM

I've been trying to write a custom user portal and in an effort to get tasks down to agents as fast as possible, I'm wondering if there is a way to tie into the SMP task agent and force the agent to check for tasks.  I know how to get the basic inventory, policy updates, packages, etc. but I can't find a way to for the agent to check for tasks.  I know there must be a way because the RAAD is able to do this remotely.  Anyone have any ideas on how to get an agent to check for tasks without using the UI?

• 2.  RE: "Check For Tasks" com object?

Posted Mar 25, 2014 02:12 AM

Hi,

You can do this by creating a scheduled "Update Client Configuration Tasks" under the Job and Tasks.

To do this>

Access your Altiris Console>Go to Manage>Jobs and Tasks>

Under the JObs and Tasks, in the left pane there are folders. Create new folder to simply locate your created tasks.

Under the JObs and Tasks Folder, Right click and select New, then select Folder, then type the name of your folder, (I suggest to name it like, "Update CLient Configuration"), click Ok to finish.

In your created folder, right click and select New, then select Client Job.

NOw, you can create your Update CLient configuration by schedule..
    Click the New button, then select Task

You will see again certain folders of tasks

Find the Notification Server Folder> then click the "Update Client Configuration"

on under the client configuration update, select update configuration update ASAP, then click Ok

click Save Changes

Now you have successfully created the Auto-update tasks, but it is not yet scheduled to update the time you want, to configure it schedule, see below

On the same page, Select the New Schedule Button>

In New Schedule Tab, you can configure your updating time of your clients, select  Schedule > then check the repeat every > then select what time you want your client to update, (every minutes, hours, days and weeks) depends on how will you configure it.

In selected devices>In Quick Add drop down menu>you can choose what computer/s you want to update or you can use your grouping and filters..
    Click Schedule to finish..

Then you have Now your Scheduled- Client Update configuration without using the gui or the RAAD tool, also you can run the task ASAP differ to your schedule you've created, just click the Quick Run..

Hope it helps..

Regards

JM

• 3.  RE: "Check For Tasks" com object?

Posted Mar 25, 2014 01:07 PM

Thanks for the response but, I know I can request update policies via task via the console.  I can also do that via the com object using

set agent = CreateObject("Altiris.AeXNSClient")
    agent.UpdatePolicies( 1)

My question is not about policies.  I want to be able to have the agent check for tasks via the com object.  I'm writing an app and it would be nice if I could force the agent to check for tasks.  In other words, I want to force the agent to check fo tasks outside of the console and UI of the agent.

• 4.  RE: "Check For Tasks" com object?
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 26, 2014 04:40 AM

Here is the code you need:

set agent = CreateObject("Altiris.AeXNSClient")
    set clientTaskAgent = agent.Agent("Altiris.ClientTaskAgent")
    clientTaskAgent.CheckForTasks()

It will do the same as if you pushed "Check for Tasks" button.

• 5.  RE: "Check For Tasks" com object?

Posted Jun 09, 2023 03:23 PM

I know this old. but it might help if someone wanted to trigger a Check for Task of the Altiris Agent from the command line with PowerShell.

$Altiris = New-Object -ComObject "Altiris.AeXNSClient" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
    $ClientTaskAgent = $Altiris.Agent("Altiris.ClientTaskAgent")
    $ClientTaskAgent.CheckForTasks()

Check for Tasks

• 6.  RE: "Check For Tasks" com object?

Posted Mar 26, 2014 02:56 PM

Thank you!!  Exactly what I was looking for!