Twin Cities Endpoint Management User Group

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

"Unable to boot to DOS automation" error when trying to image

• 1.  "Unable to boot to DOS automation" error when trying to image

Posted Mar 02, 2009 01:13 PM

I get this error in the Deployment console when I am trying to image our HP 6730b laptop. The laptop will reboot and then go back into the WinXP login. It will continue to do this for 4-5 times until I see this error in the console. 

Any thoughts are appreciated. I am using Altiris Deployment Server 6.8.

Thanks

Rob

• 2.  RE: "Unable to boot to DOS automation" error when trying to image

Posted Mar 02, 2009 01:35 PM

You need to force the computer to boot to nic.  Imaging can't be done inside of windows, not with the imaging job at least.  If you dont have PXE set up, youi can always use a boot cd, just make sure you leave the imaging job as "default automation"  the same goes for if you use an automation partition.

• 3.  RE: "Unable to boot to DOS automation" error when trying to image

Posted Mar 02, 2009 01:44 PM

Also, check your log files under your eXpress\RDeploy\DOS\RDLOG directory.

• 4.  RE: "Unable to boot to DOS automation" error when trying to image

Posted Mar 02, 2009 05:31 PM

Like spazzzen mentioned make sure you have a preboot environment. Either boot to automation via an automation CD or PXE.  Also, the error could happen because when you created the imaging task the "Boot to production" option was selected.  This usually happens when no altiris agent is present in the client.  So, uncheck this option in the imaging task and  restart the job.

nelo

• 5.  RE: "Unable to boot to DOS automation" error when trying to image

Posted Mar 06, 2009 04:37 PM

Hi, not sure to understand what's meaning "image a computer", create and upload an image of it?  If yes: I suggest you take a look on SP6.9 SP1 (+mp1) version. You can create an image without rebooting in any preboot. Just take a look there: www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/deployment-server-now-does-hardware-independent-imaging and in particular there: kb.altiris.com/44644

• 6.  RE: "Unable to boot to DOS automation" error when trying to image

Posted Mar 12, 2009 01:00 PM

Note that hot imaging is not suggested because sysprep is not ran and the dagent/aclient did not prepare the image.  Which means when you deploy the image you will not get any post configuration and you will have to run sysprep manually if you want to join the machine to the domain (unless it is deployed to the source machine)

• 7.  RE: "Unable to boot to DOS automation" error when trying to image

Posted Mar 16, 2009 04:37 PM

You need to force the computer to boot to nic.  Imaging can't be done inside of windows, not with the imaging job at least.  If you dont have PXE set up, youi can always use a boot cd, just make sure you leave the imaging job as "default automation"  the same goes for if you use an automation partition.

I have the BIOS configured to boot from the NIC. I have also hit F12 to access the network boot but, this will not work either. I've even rebuilt our Altiris boot image on the server to use the specific network adapter that the laptop has but, still no luck. I have imaged other HP models using this same method (right-click on the pc and choose "quick disk image") Is there another method in Altiris to create an image of a computer?

• 8.  RE: "Unable to boot to DOS automation" error when trying to image

Posted Mar 16, 2009 04:43 PM

Note that hot imaging is not suggested because sysprep is not ran and the dagent/aclient did not prepare the image.  Which means when you deploy the image you will not get any post configuration and you will have to run sysprep manually if you want to join the machine to the domain (unless it is deployed to the source machine)

Can you recommend the best method to create an image of a pc in Altiris? I've always used the "quick disk image.." method and it seems to work...except on this model.

• 9.  RE: "Unable to boot to DOS automation" error when trying to image

Posted Mar 16, 2009 04:47 PM

Also, check your log files under your eXpress\RDeploy\DOS\RDLOG directory.

"The happiness of your life, depends on the quality of your thoughts."

Thank you for the suggestion. I just checked and no logs are generated when I try imaging the laptop.

• 10.  RE: "Unable to boot to DOS automation" error when trying to image

Posted Mar 16, 2009 04:52 PM

I should also note that we deployed 60 HP 6710 models and did not have this issue. It is only with the 6730b model.

• 11.  RE: "Unable to boot to DOS automation" error when trying to image

Posted Mar 16, 2009 05:30 PM

I should also note that we deployed 60 HP 6710 models and did not have this issue. It is only with the 6730b model.

This is likely a DOS driver issue for the NIC card in the 6730. Are you getting an IP and a response on the PXE boot? Probably not. I'd use WinPE and add the drivers for the NIC card to the pre-boot OS. If you are set on DOS you may need to search around in the AKB.

• 12.  RE: "Unable to boot to DOS automation" error when trying to image

Posted Mar 17, 2009 10:32 AM

"Can you recommend the best method to create an image of a pc in Altiris? I've always used the "quick disk image.." method and it seems to work...except on this model."<o p=""></o>

<o p=""></o>

The quick disk image is best when creating backup of a machine (not to be redistributed to multiple machines), however it will not image the machine with sysprep.  I suggest to users that they use a job that has a create disk image task that uses sysprep. When it comes time to deploy that image to multiple machines use a job that has a distribute disk image task configured to use sysprep as well.  <o p=""></o>

<o p=""></o>

How it boots to automation is irrelevant, just as long as it can do so successfully.<o p=""></o>