Higher Education Endpoint Management User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Problems with PXE configuration tool

Posted Sep 23, 2009 08:14 AM

When using the configuration tool I get the following error:
    The PXE service has not connected with the DS service yet
    Possible Solutions:
       Wait a moment and retry the operation
       PXE services have been stopped. Verify that the PXE Services are running.
       DS Services have stopped. Verify the DS services are running

Both services are running if I reboot the server it does work for a short while but then it fails again. This is a new build on a fresh copy of Microsoft 2003 r2 DS 6.9 sp2 PXE and DS are on the same server. I am trying to create boot images for PXE because currently I can only use the Universal NIC option to image and pulling an image takes about 3 hours compared to the 17 minutes it was taking when the server was first set up a month ago. When I first got the server I had some issues and after installing SP2 for the DS the issues were fixed. Our operations staff did system updates and added the SEP protection and nothing is working well.

• 2.  RE: Problems with PXE configuration tool

Posted Sep 23, 2009 08:30 AM
    hmm,
    Not related but I came across an issue where our McAfee was blocking a port that caused service failures.  I believe SEP utilizes the Symantec Antivirus, not entirely sure since i haven't seen the product but you may want to check it's configuration out.

• 3.  RE: Problems with PXE configuration tool

Posted Sep 23, 2009 09:06 AM
    I turned off the SEP product and I still have issues with both sending and receiving images the throughput is awful about 60-100MB when I was getting 500-680 MB or better.  I turned off the IPV4 (Checksum) on the BroadCom BCM5700S NIC on the server to see if that was an issue but it was not either of these since the problem still exists. We have had some bandwidth challenges going off campus but on campus we have a pretty solid fiber backbone so the bandwith should not be an issue. Can anyone tell me what DS6.9 SP3 has fixed from DS6.9 SP2? I've searched but have come up a little empty. :(

• 4.  RE: Problems with PXE configuration tool

Posted Sep 23, 2009 09:27 AM
    I would look to see what system updates your operations staff did.  Try rolling back the updates one at a time.

Also with SEP, make sure that the network threat protection is turned off or it will try to examine all packets coming and going which will definitely cause problems with your images and bandwidth.

Also check with your networking group to see that they have not made any changes to your networking environment (i.e. bandwidth throttling on switches or routers, subnet or VLAN changes, etc.).

• 5.  RE: Problems with PXE configuration tool

Posted Sep 23, 2009 09:37 AM
    Verify that the "Altiris PXE Manager" service is using the same account as the other Altiris Services. If the PXE Manager service is set to use the "Local System Account" it will generate the error you are seeing.

• 6.  RE: Problems with PXE configuration tool
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 23, 2010 03:47 PM
    The "Altiris PXE Manager" service was set to local system Account changed it and we also turned off the Network threat protection we are imaging again.