Chicago Endpoint Management User Group

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Altiris 7.5 Agents not reporting inventory to SMP 7.5

• 1.  Altiris 7.5 Agents not reporting inventory to SMP 7.5

Posted Dec 17, 2013 12:54 PM

Altiris 7.5 Agents in my environment are not reporting inventory back to the SMP.  I upgraded back in October and for the past month and a half I have had no luck in resolving the issue.  Inventory is critical to our environment.  Our upgrade to 7.5 was sucessful no hiccups, a couple weeks after the upgrade I started to notice that any new machine that had a new client were not reporting information, and then discovered existing machines that were reporting inventory in 7.1 are not reporting any hardware updates either.  If you look in resource manager of any one of the 533 machines in our environment, any new machine added  just displays basic inventory and existing clients (7.1 SP2 that existed prior to migration (screenshot below is what I see for all pre-7.5 agents which by the way are now all 7.5) The inventory info time stamp is 10/14/2013 2:18 p.m. I have a 7.5 test environment and inventory is reporting  info for my test 7.5 clients.  I have a counterpart that has 7.5 rolled out and his altiris clients are reporting hardware inventory.  I cant move to anything else until I get inventory to report.   I have a case opened with Symantec and no solutions thus far.  I have a customized policy that was for 7.1 was implemnted in our environment isn't working(TECH187623). Lastly, my entire client environment is 99% Windows 7 64-bit + 1% Windows 8 64bit environment, has been this way since 7.1 SP2.

hardwareinfo.jpg

Agent Info.jpg

Any suggestions are appreciated. 

• 2.  RE: Altiris 7.5 Agents not reporting inventory to SMP 7.5

Posted Dec 17, 2013 03:01 PM

Do the clients themselves have up-to-date NSI files on them?

If you configure the SMP to copy its event folder, and then run a full inventory scan on one of the problem machines, do inventiory NSE files from that client get copied?

Are there any errors or warnings recorded by the SMP when these clients post their inventory NSE files?

Have you checked the blacklisted table to see if it is populated or not?

• 3.  RE: Altiris 7.5 Agents not reporting inventory to SMP 7.5

Posted Dec 17, 2013 04:35 PM

Hi SK

The client themselves have up-to-date NSI files on them, I ran a collection inventory and the NSI file are updating.

Pardon my ignorance but I didn't understand this one. 

There are no warning recorded by the SMP.  I checked for the Guid of machines I did a collection inventory and there were no guids found in the error logs.

I have no machines listed in the blacklist table(filter) 

• 4.  RE: Altiris 7.5 Agents not reporting inventory to SMP 7.5

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 18, 2013 12:54 AM

Hi truj3612,

These data classes contain information using "Altiris Invetory Agent" but not just a basic inventory data which sends by Symantec Management Agent.

(According to screenshot, I see that there is no "Altiris Inventory Agent is installed)

If you want to gather data for these data classes mentioned above, then you need to

• Install "Altiris Inventory Agent"

Instlal Inv Agent.jpg

• Computers with installed "Altiris Inventory Agent" will receive "Collect Full Inventory" policy task.

Collect Inventory.jpg

When this task will be completed on client side, then these data classes will populate appropriate data.

If such inventory will not be populated from clients on servers side?

• Make sure that license state is correct and node count isn't exceeded

LicInventory.jpg

• Check "LAC" state on your SMP 7.5 server in case if there are clients with Symantec Management Agent 7.1.x version

LEgacyAgent.jpg

• Check registration rule on your SMP 7.5 server

AgentRegister.jpg

• Check "Collect Full Inventory" task status per client which doesn't populate up-to-date inventoried data on server side

status.jpg

Because task could be failed on client side or task is completed successfuly but data isn't properly parsed on server side, like it is described in another article ⇒ https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/unknown-exception-was-thrown-inventory-solution

Thanks,

IP.

• 5.  RE: Altiris 7.5 Agents not reporting inventory to SMP 7.5

Posted Dec 18, 2013 01:05 AM

The inv agent is actually listed third from the top in the screenshot.  ;-)

• 6.  RE: Altiris 7.5 Agents not reporting inventory to SMP 7.5

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 18, 2013 01:45 AM

@SK,

seems like screenshot is very little and I've missed it smiley

• 7.  RE: Altiris 7.5 Agents not reporting inventory to SMP 7.5

Posted May 16, 2014 01:56 PM

We had so much trouble with our SMP server, that we figured the root cause was the SMP.  So we had a consulting company help us rebuild our NS and Site Sever and migrate all machines from original SMP to new SMP.  Everything look great until those notorious machines migrated over with no inventory of any kind. 

Here is what I am having to do.  Literally and we are in the process of creating a script and removing all Altiris Key, Values and Data that pertain to Altiris.  Geez Louise I have been doing it manually and it takes a nice chunk of your life.  After Altiris is gone from registry.  I push the Altiris Installation and watch as all sub-agents are installed it will then produce inventory on our problematic systems that refused to produce inventory.  I am finding that each time I pushed an agent to it I would get duplicate entries see below.  I have been deleting this one at time.  And this is why we are developing a script. 

• 8.  RE: Altiris 7.5 Agents not reporting inventory to SMP 7.5

Posted Jul 07, 2014 11:46 AM

we had this happen in the 7.1 world and used a clean old inventory run new package supplied from Symantec. Have you tried this? 

I am in process of recreating this script in 7.5 

• 9.  RE: Altiris 7.5 Agents not reporting inventory to SMP 7.5

Posted Aug 07, 2014 03:56 AM

in my environment (7.5) in most of the systems more than one inventory task is running in an agent. And for those systems inventory is not getting updated in NS. How to get rid of this.

• 10.  RE: Altiris 7.5 Agents not reporting inventory to SMP 7.5

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 07, 2014 05:05 AM

How you're making sure, that after completed inventory task, inventory data doesn't get populated on NS server for managed client?

• 11.  RE: Altiris 7.5 Agents not reporting inventory to SMP 7.5

Posted Oct 23, 2014 01:43 PM

can you post your server's logs please?

I'll try help you