Chicago Endpoint Management User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Need help importing MIB to aid in inventory for network devices

Posted Apr 04, 2012 04:18 PM

Hi,

We are testing the waters with Inventory for Network Devices in our Altiris 7.1 (no SP) environment.

We have successfully discovered a couple of individual devices, and also ran the agent-less inventory on them.

Now, we'd like to load a MIB file we have from Cisco to enhance what is returned by the inventory.

The file we've got has a .MY extension, and is not in XML format...  we've unsuccessfully tried to import the file these 2 ways, with the following results:

1. Settings > All Settings > Monitoring and Alerting > SNMP MIB Import Browser > MIB Browser
      1. When we point at the MIB file, and try to import MIB file, we see “Please select a valid MIB file”
    2. Settings > All Settings > Discovery and Inventory > SNMP Settings > SNMP Data Mapping Tables
      1. When we point at the MIB file, try to import a table definition for data inventory, we see “Please only upload files with the .xml extension”

Can anyone provide some guidance on importing MIB files?  The correct way/place to do it in the console? The format/naming convention required for the MIB file?

Thank you!

Dave "lookin forward to Vision" Hoppert

• 2.  RE: Need help importing MIB to aid in inventory for network devices

Posted Apr 04, 2012 04:26 PM

Where did you obtain the .MY file, and who is the author?

Thanks

• 3.  RE: Need help importing MIB to aid in inventory for network devices

Posted Apr 04, 2012 04:39 PM
      |   view attached

I believe the file was downloaded directly from the Cisco website.  I've attached a portion of the files header below...

Attachment(s)

txt
    MIB_file.txt   1 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Need help importing MIB to aid in inventory for network devices

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2012 06:46 AM

David,

Generally, you import MIB files according to the instructions in this article from the Symantec Management Platform User Guide:
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO63052
    So you were in the right place when you tried to import MIB files manually (1).

(2) On the SNMP Data Mapping Tables page, you do not import MIBs. Here you can create a new SNMP data mapping table. When you configure the table row values, you select an Object ID from the already available MIBs.

You can find more information about SNMP data mapping and using SNMP data mapping tables at the following URLs:
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO63387
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO63394

Thanks,

Irina

• 5.  RE: Need help importing MIB to aid in inventory for network devices

Posted Apr 05, 2012 09:06 AM

Thank you Irina,

Can you provide any guidance on the format of the MIB?  Is it supposed to be an XML file?  Should it have a certain file extension?

Regards,
    Dave

• 6.  RE: Need help importing MIB to aid in inventory for network devices

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 13, 2012 07:12 AM

David,

Currently I cannot confirm your question about the required MIB file extensions.

Can you please try to import your .my file with the MIB import task as it is described in the HOWTO63052 (or follow the steps below):

To import MIB files using the MIB import task

1. In the Symantec Management Console, on the Manage menu, click Jobs and Tasks.
    2. In the left pane, select the folder where you want to create the task.
    3. On the folder's right-click menu, click New > Task.
    4. In the Create New Task dialog box, in the left pane, click Monitoring and Alerting > MIB Import.
    5. Name the task.
    6. Use MIB file upload to browse to a MIB file.
    7. Select the option to import the single MIB file.
    8. Click Upload to upload the MIB file into the import task. A confirmation message "The MIB file has been successfully uploaded" should be displayed.
    9. Click OK.
    10. Select the new MIB import task. By default, the new MIB import task is stored at: System Jobs and Tasks > Notification Server.
    11. Schedule the new MIB import task to run by using the task scheduling utility.

I hope this helps.