Chicago Endpoint Management User Group

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

When "Locally on the Deployment Server" is selected, PowerShell tasks are opened with notepad.exe instead of powershell.exe

• 1.  When "Locally on the Deployment Server" is selected, PowerShell tasks are opened with notepad.exe instead of powershell.exe

Posted Oct 23, 2012 03:15 PM

Deployment Server 6.9.517 (SP5 MP2) on Server 2008R2.

When I select "Locally on the Deployment Server" for my PowerShell tasks, the DS opens the script in notepad (as system, so I can't see it in the console) instead of powershell.exe. I have to kill notepad in task manager to get the task to complete. Of course it returns an error 1. What is going on? It used to work fine. I now have to do all kinds of bone-headed scripting gymnastics to run powershell locally.

Yes, I opened a support ticket with Symantec, but they said that running powershell scripts locally on the deployment server isn't supported. I know that it can work, because it used to, even if it isn't technically supported.

• 2.  RE: When "Locally on the Deployment Server" is selected, PowerShell tasks are opened with notepad.exe instead of powershell.exe

Posted Oct 24, 2012 02:37 PM
    could it be file association on your Ds? Has someone been editing a powershell script and ticked "always open this type of file.... " try right clicking a powershell file in explorer and reset the association to the powershell app C

• 3.  RE: When "Locally on the Deployment Server" is selected, PowerShell tasks are opened with notepad.exe instead of powershell.exe

Posted Nov 05, 2012 09:53 PM

Are you running the script with:

powershell.exe {powershell file}

• 4.  RE: When "Locally on the Deployment Server" is selected, PowerShell tasks are opened with notepad.exe instead of powershell.exe

Posted Mar 25, 2013 07:48 AM

Using the steps mentioned in the KB article below, we are able to execute the Powershell script using "Locally on the Deployment Server " option. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH195687&key=55263&actp=LIST