Chicago Endpoint Management User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Deploy fix to particular model computer

Posted Nov 01, 2012 12:01 PM

NS7 has a good start to it's automatic software delivery system.  You can program in how to see if a particular software package is insatlled and then only install if it's not there.  You can also set prerequisites to see if said sofware package applies to a particular computer. 

So what do I do if I need to run this command on every HP 3115m model computer? It doesn't seem that the detection check and applicability checks work with tasks, even when scheduled through new managed software deliver policy. 

powercfg -deviceenablewake "Name of NIC Card"

Do I create a dummy software package that has a simple command in it?  It's a lot of work to put in dummy companies and packages just to have a single command run on machines.  Then, how do I detect if it has been installed?  Should I put in some dummy registry keys just to work with Altiris detection? 

Lastly, there doesn't seem to be a smart rule to apply only if a machine is a 3115m machine.  I suppose I can make a custom collection (filter?) and only appply it to those machine but without fixing the above problem it'll run every X hours, over and over.

I guess I'm asking for detection and applicability rules to work on tasks as well as software packages.  This is just one of many "recall" fixes that need to be sent out to fix various bugs with our computers. 

• 2.  RE: Deploy fix to particular model computer

Posted Nov 01, 2012 02:35 PM

You don't need to create a dummy package, just a Software Resource with an Install type Command Line that doesn't require a package. I suggest an "in house" Company for such custom scripts.

Does the command not change a registry key somewhere that you could use on a Detection Rule?

And is there not something in the registry unique to the 3115m that you could use as an Applicability rule?

In this case I'd try and have an Applicability Rule as well as a Filter of 3115m as a "belt and braces" to not apply the policy to too many PCs.