Philadelphia Security User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Duplicate computer name entries

Posted Dec 07, 2010 01:03 PM

We currently run Altiris NS v.6.0.6074 SP3 and recently implemented Virtual Deskop Images (VDI). Since that time and on with the VDI it continually produces duplicate entries one listed as Computer and the other listed as Virtual. Is there a resolution to the problem of duplicate entries? 

• 2.  RE: Duplicate computer name entries

Posted Dec 08, 2010 08:36 AM

At one time, we had an issue with AD import doing this, and you'd merge them, and they'd come back after an AD import.

Are you using the AD Import for computers?

• 3.  RE: Duplicate computer name entries

Posted Dec 08, 2010 10:28 AM

Hi Thomas,

We use AD Import for computers. Is there a resolution?

• 4.  RE: Duplicate computer name entries

Posted Dec 08, 2010 11:11 AM

I don't remember if it was fixed by a roll-up (i.e. R11) or if you have to quit importing those computers, or what the fix was.  I'm sorry.  But I'm about 100% confident this is documented in the KB.

• 5.  RE: Duplicate computer name entries

Posted Dec 14, 2010 05:17 AM
      |   view attached

This is an issue between Inventory and AD import.

Because AD import creates the machines as Computers while the Inventory creates them as Virtual Machines.

You could use the Merge report attached which is from Altirigos.com.

Just import the report and schedule to run it once a day.

Attachment(s)

• 6.  RE: Duplicate computer name entries

Posted Dec 14, 2010 08:42 AM

TECH36087 discusses an issue where netbios resolution is... off somewhow and these are the suggestions:

- Ensure NS is able to resolve the NETBIOS name of the domain.
    - Specify the name of the domain under the AD import rule. (instead FQDN of the Domain Controller)

TECH14331 discusses an issue that deals with only virtual machines and how to stop this issue.  The discussion and resolution is too difficult to include here.

Finally, because I can't find it, make sure you're at least at R11 if you can.  R13 is current and you don't want to be way behind on patches if you find yourself having to call support.

Let us know please what works!

• 7.  RE: Duplicate computer name entries

Posted Dec 15, 2010 08:24 AM

I want to thank everybody for your suggestions and I will reply with the results, however I will continue to take any further suggestions as how to resolve the issue with duplicate names in Altiris NS 6..0.6074 SP3 R8.

Thank you,

Mark Trout