Columbus Endpoint Management User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Exceeded License count for Inventory Solution

Posted Jan 05, 2010 04:49 PM
    We recently returned several Retired computers to Active status and in doing so we have exceeded our License count for Inventory Solution. Until management aquires the additional licenses what can I expect to happen with my Inventory Data?

- Will all computers stop reporting inventoy?
    - Will computers that were under the count prior to exceeding the count continue to report?

Altiris Inventory Solution for RIM 6.1 SP1
    Altiris Inventory Solution for Windows 6.1 SP3
    Inventory Solution for Mac
    350 431 11/3/2010 - Exceeded

• 2.  RE: Exceeded License count for Inventory Solution
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 05, 2010 06:01 PM
    See the Altiris licensing technical FAQ here:
    https://kb.altiris.com/article.asp?article=16789&p=1

From the KB:

Inventory Solution for Windows

• License consumption—A license is consumed after the Notification Server has received the first posted software inventory data from a managed computer. A license is not consumed from the existence of the inventory solution agent on a managed computer. A license is not consumed by the "basic inventory" function of the Altiris Agent.
    • License count exceeded—Inventory from licensed nodes will continue to be processed. Incoming inventory data from unlicensed nodes is discarded.
    • License expiration (only applicable to Trial or otherwise temporary licenses)—Agent rollouts will still occur without a problem. All new incoming inventory data is discarded. Inventory reports will throw a license error.
    • AUP expiration—All functions will continue normally. However, if newer versions of the solution are installed, they will not function.
    • License recovery—As of Inventory Solution 6.1 SP2, setting the status of the computer to anything but Active will release a license.  In prior versions, only Retired, Return to Lessor, and Disposed computers will free up a license. Deletion of the computer resource record will also release a license.
      NOTE:  Inventory Solution specific data on Retired, Return to Lessor and Disposed computers will be purged as part of a background process that runs each night.

Does this answer your question?

• 3.  RE: Exceeded License count for Inventory Solution

Posted Jan 06, 2010 08:42 AM
    Thanks mclemson for the reply. I think I've got it now. I had read the KB, but was a little unclear as to which computers Altiris considered unlicenses of the 431. I was trying to make it more difficult than it was. From my understanding now those computers up to and including 350 are listed in DB as licensed and everything we brought on line after the 350 will not be listed as licensed and as such no inventory data will be process once received.

Thanks again for the support