Columbus Endpoint Management User Group

View Only
  • 1.  SKYPE-30 Update Fails - Old version not uninstalled

Posted Jul 11, 2012 08:39 AM

We've been experimenting with Patch 7.1 to patch 3rd party software, and the Skype updates have worked wonderfully...until now.

The last Skype update we deployed was SKYPE-27 which included a batch file that uninstalled previous versions before installing the new MSI.  SKYPE-30 just has the MSI present without the associated batch file.

I've stared at the old batch file for a good long while and I'm not sure if I can just copy that into the new package folder and update the policy to call that batch file or what.  That, and I don't know if I even need all of the extra "stuff" in there (what is most of that stuff anyway?) or if I can just create a new batch file with the msiexec.exe /x commands to install old versions then follow it up with a msiexec /i to install the new version.

Anyone run into this before?  How'd you handle it?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: SKYPE-30 Update Fails - Old version not uninstalled

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 12, 2012 08:03 AM

Hi dfrancis,

Could You please clarify, which version of Patch Data do You have? The latest Patch Data 7.1.331 already contains the fix - SKYPE-30 should be installed via batch file.

If You have older Patch Data, You may run PMImport task with "Revise" option - new version of updates will be redonwloaded and reach clients. Attempt to install via .bat file should be made on the next patch cycle.

Best Regards,

Sergei

• 3.  RE: SKYPE-30 Update Fails - Old version not uninstalled

Posted Jul 12, 2012 09:09 AM

Sergei, I do have the latest patch data.  My Import Patch Data for Windows task runs daily (with Incremental Import checked) and Automatically revise Software Update policies after importing patch data is checked.  I did not download and stage SKYPE-30 until yesterday, and my list of Patches shows release and revision date of that patch to be 6/14/2012.

Odd that I'm seeing something different than you...

• 4.  RE: SKYPE-30 Update Fails - Old version not uninstalled
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 12, 2012 10:48 AM

That's really strange.

SKYPE-30 was modified in yesterday's Patch Data - version 7.1.331. However, Revise/Released date on the bulletin left the same - June 14. You can check Download Software Update Package task instances, to verify whether this bulletin was actually re-downloaded or not.

Also, Update folder on the NS should contain both batch file and MSI in Patch Download Location in Management\Packages\UPDATES\SKYPE-30\{d90d6132-7692-428a-bf5d-05dd44ec7a4c}

Sergei

• 5.  RE: SKYPE-30 Update Fails - Old version not uninstalled

Posted Jul 12, 2012 11:26 AM

Weird.  I just checked that folder on the server and the .bat now exists.  I re-enabled the bulletin and was able to succesfully update a test machine.  Crisis averted!