Columbus Endpoint Management User Group

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

What Recurring Maintenance windows are you using for Production servers?

• 1.  What Recurring Maintenance windows are you using for Production servers?

Posted Jun 10, 2015 09:17 AM

So, first off... I really wish Altiris had maintenance windows that could recurr relative to Patch tuesday (as in "I want a monthly recurring window that happens the twelfth day after each patch tuesday" or "every Patch tuesday + 12 days").  But, since I can't have that, I'm turning to the community to ask for some advice.  Currently, we build an individual maintenance window for each month that essentially gets us windows relative to patch tuesday as described above.  I'd love to automate this away and just use a recurring window.  It takes a long time, and it's one of those really tedious things that annoys everyone. 

So, my question to the community is "What recurring windows are you using for your production servers?"  What works well for you?  What do your application/server owners like or dislike?

-Chris

• 2.  RE: What Recurring Maintenance windows are you using for Production servers?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jun 24, 2015 01:25 PM

I completely agree with your desire for relativistic schedules.  Symantec indicated a LONG time ago that this is something they were seeking to implement and your reasoning has nailed it.

What you might find in here, though, is that some people are unwilling to talk about specific schedules and internal processes due to operational security concerns... it's trivial to look you up, figure out what company you work for, and then use that insider information against you.

I'd be willing to speak outside of the public forum, though.  Drop me a message through my profile.