Columbus Endpoint Management User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Active Directory User Import - Names change randomly

Posted Mar 22, 2011 02:18 PM

I swear I've seen a thread on this before but I can't seem to find it.  I had this issue in 7.0 and was hoping that it got fixed in 7.1, but I was sadly disappointed.

I use Active Directory User Import on my 2008 domain.  I'll have a user, say John Doe, get imported with no problem.  Both the name and display name look great.  Wait a few days, weeks, or whatever and all of the sudden, John's name will start to display as jdoe.DOMAIN where jdoe is his user ID and DOMAIN is our domain name.  If I manually re-run full AD user import, the problem corrects itself for the time being and he goes back to "John Doe"

The only different thing that we're doing is using custom column mappings instead of the default, but those are only a few fields, and so far this only seems to have surfaced on one user who has the 7.1 agent on his Windows 7 x64 machine, reporting to the new 7.1 server.

This normally isn't a problem, but when my guys are searching for "John" he obviously won't come up in search results because of his name being displayed as jdoe.DOMAIN, not to mention it breaks my connector rules for importing/updating asset information.

Has anyone else seen this or know of a workaround/fix for it?

• 2.  RE: Active Directory User Import - Names change randomly

Posted Mar 23, 2011 10:12 AM

This seems to be tied to User Inventory from what I can tell, as I can force a user inventory task to run on a machine that has an affected user account.  The user account in Asset will then revert to the userid.DOMAIN format until a full AD User Import is run.

Odd fact is that not every client machine is causing this to happen.

• 3.  RE: Active Directory User Import - Names change randomly

Posted May 24, 2011 12:10 PM

I am also seeing this issue in 7.1. I am seeing 3 variations of users within 7.1. Some are showing up with a backslash at the end of their last names. So we have

Doe, Joe

Doe\, Joe

jdoe.domain

Did you ever find a resolution to this issue?

Thanks

-Chris

• 4.  RE: Active Directory User Import - Names change randomly

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 24, 2011 01:13 PM

What you are seeing is caused by the Software Inventory scan. As part of this scan it gathers the user information from each machine. These users are created in a name.domain format.

Unfortunately at this time I'm not aware of a way to disable the collection & creation of these users accounts when the scan runs.