Columbus Endpoint Management User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Format of input string for GetIPAddressByComputerName

Posted Mar 01, 2011 01:17 PM

We have created a simple service using Workflow 6.5 which takes several imputs (including the IP address) and creates a Helpdesk ticket.  As part of the workflow we are using the GetIPAddressByComputerName methode to get the user's computer name.  Our issue is that we are getting an error when we test the workflow that indicated we are not formating the IP address string correctly.  I have been upable to discover any documentation on the correct formatting.  If anyone has done this please reply.  Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Format of input string for GetIPAddressByComputerName

Posted Mar 01, 2011 01:38 PM

Based upon the name of that component "GetIPAddressByComputerName", I would expect the INPUT to be the computer name, and the output to be an IP address.  Is that how you are using it?

• 3.  RE: Format of input string for GetIPAddressByComputerName

Posted Mar 01, 2011 01:57 PM

I don't have a copy of WF 6.5 and NS6 handy, but I expect the technique and the tables to be the same between NS6 and SMP7.  Hopefully someone with an older setup can confirm:

If you can get upgraded to ASDK v7, the report web service is working correctly (input parameters ignored in older versions)  and you can create a Report that includes this query with the IP Address as the input parameter.  Use the Workflow report generator to create a component for that report.

If you can't run ASDK7 (Might only be supported on SMP7), then you can also safely do a read-only operation against the CMDB using a SQL generator component (Table or Query). 

SELECT [_ResourceGuid], [Name], [IP Address], [Host Name]
    FROM  Inv_AeX_AC_TCPIP
    WHERE [IP Address] = myIPAddressInputParameter

Then you will have the computer's guid from the CMDB, which you can pass to the standard "GetComputerByIdsComponent" and take the first result from the output.  Don't forget to do some sanity checks afterwords, the data in the CMDB could be stale if the target computer changes networks frequently, or your  network has a very small DHCP pool of available address.

• 4.  RE: Format of input string for GetIPAddressByComputerName

Posted Mar 01, 2011 02:08 PM

The actual method that I am working with is GetComputerNameByIPAddress an that is what I am looking for the imput format for.  Thanks for the other suggestion it did give me some ideas.

• 5.  RE: Format of input string for GetIPAddressByComputerName

Posted Mar 01, 2011 02:36 PM

I tried a couple of simple hard coded values using that component.  I get valid data back using the standard dot notation.  For example 169.254.1.2

If you are already using that format, make sure that you aren't inadvertently using an input variable that contains no text or is null.