New England Security User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Unable to create a deploy image task

Posted Jun 23, 2011 05:40 PM
      |   view attached

Whenever I try to create a deploy image job or task it fails to load with popup "data cannot be loaded". I get the data cannot be loaded message right after I click "OK". Has anyone ever seen this problem before? I ran a repair on SMP as well as the deployment solution. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the deployment solution, same error message. All licenses are current. I can create and run other tasks and jobs without any problems. I'm running the latest SMP 7.1 Any help would greaty appreciated.

Log File Name: C:\ProgramData\Symantec\SMP\Logs\a.log
    Priority: 1
    Help and Support: Symantec Technical Support
    Process: <unknown>
    Module: <unknown>
    SO\ource:

Altiris.TaskManagement.UI.AltirisPageInstanceCachePage.OnAltirisPageInstanceCachePageError

Description: Unhandled error on page

( Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Altiris.TaskManagement.Web.CreateNewTask.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) )
    ( Exception logged from:
       at Altiris.Diagnostics.Logging.EventLog.ReportException(Int32 severity, String strMessage, String category, Exception exception)
       at Altiris.NS.Logging.EventLog.ReportException(Int32 severity, String strMessage, String category, Exception exception)
       at Altiris.TaskManagement.UI.AltirisPageInstanceCachePage.OnAltirisPageInstanceCachePageError(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.OnError(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at ASP.createnewtask_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ApplicationStepManager.ResumeSteps(Exception error)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.System.Web.IHttpAsyncHandler.BeginProcessRequest(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback cb, Object extraData)
       at System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr)
       at System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNoDemand(HttpWorkerRequest wr)
       at System.Web.Hosting.ISAPIRuntime.ProcessRequest(IntPtr ecb, Int32 iWRType)
     )
    ( Extra Details:  Type=System.NullReferenceException Src=Altiris.TaskManagement.Web )","Altiris.TaskManagement.UI.AltirisPageInstanceCachePage.OnAltirisPageInstanceCachePageError","<unknown>","14"

• 2.  RE: Unable to create a deploy image task

Posted Jun 23, 2011 06:11 PM

I get this error on every Deploy task I create. You start creating the task, and then when you hit "Save", then you are presented with the error, correct? I've been working around it - my Deploy tasks are still getting created, and they appear to work. I'm calling support on Monday - if you don't bring up the issue, I will. (Or, we can both bring it up and maybe our two votes will have more weight than our one)

• 3.  RE: Unable to create a deploy image task

Posted Jun 23, 2011 06:27 PM

Correct. I only get the message when I craete the deploy image task only. I don't get the error on other tasks I run. I have a call in with Symantec regarding the problem. They escalated it to level 2. Level 2 is stumped on the issue. Still waiting on a solution from them.

• 4.  RE: Unable to create a deploy image task

Posted Jun 24, 2011 02:10 AM

I have observed this problem, but it does not hamper my task creation/execution.

one more thing, i get this error when i installed JRE and IE was running. If i install JRE and IE is closed, this error 'data could not be loaded' reduced to minimal.

any similar observations, pl. share.

• 5.  RE: Unable to create a deploy image task

Posted Jun 24, 2011 08:46 AM

Once after receiving this error, I was unable to edit the task afterward. Every time I clicked on the task, it locked up my Symantec Management Console. I couldn't delete the task within SMC; I had to go looking for the task in the SQL database and delete it that way. (And I don't know squat about SQL, so that was a little hairy for me.) I don't remember which table it was in, but if anyone knows right off the top of their head, perhaps they could post that info here so that the next person this happens to will know where to look to delete it when all else fails?

• 6.  RE: Unable to create a deploy image task

Posted Jun 24, 2011 11:11 PM

In either the NS logs or Sys/app logs?

• 7.  RE: Unable to create a deploy image task

Posted Jun 29, 2011 11:22 AM

NS Log error is as follows; nothing in System or Application event logs.

"6/29/2011 11:13:05 AM","Unhandled error on page
    **CEDUrlStart** :http://entced.symantec.com/entt?product=SMP&version=7.1.6851.0&language=en&module=5Mmi+w/RiNdBI0Eni9fvVezDvDLBtPiNjHKi4WIV+h6AjSSqphGqqvE8NoR4GW09VskMSP77C1GbnHCYuzN20uBZH2QE7hkoPZD++tn2KR4=&error=1126815723&build=**CEDUrlEnd**

( Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) )
    ( Exception logged from:
       at Altiris.Diagnostics.Logging.EventLog.ReportException(Int32 severity, String strMessage, String category, Exception exception)
       at Altiris.NS.Logging.EventLog.ReportException(Int32 severity, String strMessage, String category, Exception exception)
       at Altiris.TaskManagement.UI.AltirisPageInstanceCachePage.OnAltirisPageInstanceCachePageError(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ApplicationStepManager.ResumeSteps(Exception error)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.System.Web.IHttpAsyncHandler.BeginProcessRequest(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback cb, Object extraData)
       at System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr)
       at System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNoDemand(HttpWorkerRequest wr)
       at System.Web.Hosting.ISAPIRuntime.ProcessRequest(IntPtr ecb, Int32 iWRType)
     )
    ( Extra Details:  Type=System.NullReferenceException Src=Altiris.TaskManagement.Web )","Altiris.TaskManagement.UI.AltirisPageInstanceCachePage.OnAltirisPageInstanceCachePageError","w3wp","5"

• 8.  RE: Unable to create a deploy image task

Posted Jun 30, 2011 07:26 AM

Here you go. I can run any task except the "Deploy image" task. Thanks.

"6/29/2011 6:29:52 PM","Unhandled error on page
    **CEDUrlStart** :http://entced.symantec.com/entt?product=SMP&version=7.1.6851.0&language=en&module=5Mmi+w/RiNdBI0Eni9fvVezDvDLBtPiNjHKi4WIV+h6AjSSqphGqqvE8NoR4GW09VskMSP77C1GbnHCYuzN20uBZH2QE7hkoPZD++tn2KR4=&error=1126815723&build=**CEDUrlEnd**

( Exception logged from:
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ResumeStepsFromThreadPoolThread(Exception error)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.AsyncEventExecutionStep.ResumeStepsWithAssert(Exception error)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.AsyncEventExecutionStep.OnAsyncEventCompletion(IAsyncResult ar)
       at System.Web.HttpAsyncResult.Complete(Boolean synchronous, Object result, Exception error, RequestNotificationStatus status)
       at System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.PollLockedSessionCallback(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading._TimerCallback.PerformTimerCallback(Object state)
     )
    ( Extra Details:  Type=System.NullReferenceException Src=Altiris.TaskManagement.Web )","Altiris.TaskManagement.UI.AltirisPageInstanceCachePage.OnAltirisPageInstanceCachePageError","w3wp","563"

• 9.  RE: Unable to create a deploy image task

Posted Aug 04, 2011 02:12 PM

Having the same exact issue.  We said this is mission critical to Symantec and we went up to a level 3 or 4 tech.  Even they are stumped.  At this point, I would say this is a consistent issue......