New England Security User Group

View Only
  • 1.  System Restore

Posted Jul 13, 2009 10:50 AM
    We are currently experiencing performance issues on sporadic machines, only during the first boot of the day.  Testing and lots of time with Symantec support has not found the smoking gun.  One machine we found has Microsoft's System Restore enabled.  Initial testing looks positive, but has anyone else seen/tested with this tool on/off? 

• 2.  RE: System Restore

Posted Jul 13, 2009 11:17 AM
    You are better off having a recent image of your machine(s), than you are of having "system restore" enabled.  System restore is a copy of your system's configuration.  Generally when you receive a threat, virus or other, it will reproduce itself into the "system restore" of the system volume.  Enuring it's capability to restore itself. 
    Because of this, and that System restore is pretty compressed and, scan times can be increased as the system has 2 times as much data to scan.

As best practice, and very rarely used, system restore should be turned off.  Just my 2 cents.

• 3.  RE: System Restore

Posted Aug 25, 2009 02:24 PM
    Hi,

As Jason rightly said that the System restore functionality is used by the virus to get back in to the machine even if the threat is cleaned. Therefore turning OFF system restore would be the best option and also it is recommended by us to turn it OFF in the event of an virus outbreak.

• 4.  RE: System Restore

Posted Aug 25, 2009 09:01 PM

Dear Jason,

It is better to turn off the system restore since  is used by the virus to get back in to the machine even if the threat is cleaned. And I agreed to Sandip. If you want to have a image backup of your System I suggest to use Backup Exec System recovery.

Thanks