Symantec Encryption Product Community

View Only
  • 1.  Single File Encryption product??

Posted Feb 11, 2014 01:50 PM

Does Symantec have a product that can be used to encrypt a single file, that would allow me to send this to someone outside my company. Example, Entrust has something called SOLO, I encrypt a file with my Encipherment cert (OR a One Time PAssword ,OTP), I call the person I'm sending this to. they download a free app called Solo and they can Decrypt anything I send them as long as they have the password...

Also, does the PGP Folder Encryption allow you to send a encrypted file to someone outside?

• 2.  RE: Single File Encryption product??

Posted Feb 11, 2014 01:56 PM

Symantec endpoint encryption can do that, use must know the password

http://cumc.columbia.edu/it/howto/encrypt/single.html

• 3.  RE: Single File Encryption product??

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 11, 2014 03:09 PM

The answer to the first question is yes. Inside of Symantec Encryption Desktop there is  a product that is call PGP Self-Decrypting Archive. It's part of the PGP zip feature.

Here is a link to the PGP Zip portion of the Symantec Encryption Desktop (previously known as PGP Desktop)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO83453

This feature is available on all versions of Symatec Encryption Desktop.

Second answer is if you are using Symantec File Share Encryption. Which is the folder encryption portion of the product. This type of encryption is meant to stay local or on a local File Server and if you try to move the file or folder via FTP or Email it will decrypt the file prior to attaching it. This type of encryption is key based and is encrypted to your users key or a group-key and you will need the private portion of these keys to decrypt. Definitely not recommended sharing your private key with other users.

• 4.  RE: Single File Encryption product??

Posted Feb 14, 2014 05:49 PM

so essentially you have three different products at your disposal. Depending on whether you are using the Symantec Endpoint Encryption suite (formerly Guardian Edge products) or the Symantec Encryption Desktop suite (powered by PGP technology).  The later is what Brian pointed out and the former is what Rafeeq is talking about. I hope that makes things more clear.