Monitor and Server Health Group

View Only
  • 1.  Altiris Ping Alerting

Posted Sep 17, 2013 11:30 AM

I have created a agentless rule for Altiris to monitor VIA ICMP pings and send an alert email when it does not get a response.  This works fine however I have machines that are up that can be pinged that Altiris is showing that is down. On these systems when I go to real time monitoring will show any were from 2 to 7 statuses for that machine.

Does or is Altiris trying to ping every IP on the Machine and if it is, how I can tell it to only ping the IP that is associated to the machines DN. 

• 2.  RE: Altiris Ping Alerting

Posted Sep 18, 2013 06:38 AM

Hi!

What version of Monitor Solution do you have installed in your environment?

Thanks,

Dmitri.

• 3.  RE: Altiris Ping Alerting

Posted Sep 18, 2013 09:04 AM

We  are using 7.1

• 4.  RE: Altiris Ping Alerting

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 15, 2013 07:09 AM

Hi!

couple questions about your setup:

1. Do you perform ICMP agentless monitoring for a computers where no Symantec management agent is installed? And these computers were populated on server using "Network Discovery"?

If you've used "Network discovery", then probably some servers have changed their DHCP address therefore is better to perform re-discovery task to update NIC address for all agentless machines.

2. Do you have "All instances" option in "Metric Evaluation" window?

AllInstances.JPG

If yes, then you should check "All instances" checkbox then in case if computer has 2 network adapters and one of them will be unreacheable but second adapter will be online, then alert will doesn't appear about that this computer is offline however it is online. Alert will appears in case if both network adapters will be offline on monitored agentless machine.

Thanks,

IP.