San Francisco Bay Area Endpoint Management User Group

View Only
  • 1.  notes on new install of Service desk 7.1 and Workflow 7.1

Posted Jul 26, 2011 11:49 PM

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO49691

I submitted a new version of this document to the admins with some missing steps highlighted. Here are my notes ahead of time

1. The following step is not in the How To Doc. If you dont do this is in a split enviroment the install will fail

17A. Add the ServiceDesk Computer Administrators group (pg 54 ServiceDesk 7.1 SP1 Implementation) to the Local Administrators group

1 In the Administrators Properties dialog box, click Add.

2 In the Select Users, Computers, or Groups dialog box, click Object Types,

and then if you are prompted, enter your network password.

3 In the Object Types dialog box, click Computers, and then click OK.

4 In the Select Users,Computers,orGroups dialog box, in Enter object names

to select, type the domain name and the name of the ServiceDesk server

computer as follows:domain\host-name

5 To verify that the name resolves correctly, click Check Names.

In my environment check names removed the Domain/Host-Name forma-I typed in the Domain/Host-Name

6 If the test is successful, click OK.

7 Close the Computer Management page.

2. Bold are my notes

25) Browse to the SMP 7.1 Server using Internet Explorer – Service desk Solution must be installed through the SIM to the SMP installation. This is needed to manage the licenses

26) In the SMP UI, click Settings > All Settings and then drill into the ServiceDesk settings. Click Altiris.ServiceDesk.2009.exe to download the file. Save the file to the desktop of the Server that will be hosting Service Desk. In my case this was my SQL server that only does Service Desk and Workflow

26A. While you’re on the SMP server add the service account or Installation account that will be used in Step 33 to the Symantec Administrator account. Otherwise the Workflow server will not work as it will have no license

a.       In the SMP Altiris Console, click on Settings > Security > Roles.
    b. Click on the Symantec Administrators group.
    c. Add the Service Desk account or Installtion account to the group

a.       If this is not done the Workflow license for Service Desk will not work

27) Execute the file downloaded in step 26 on the Server that will be hosting Service Desk.

34A If you want to upgrade your existing SD7.0 install this is where you put in the path to the restored Ensemble 7.0 DB. Symantec does not recommend this. They suggest doing a clean install and migrate incidents and workflows after install

38) Configure System Accounts Access by Removing checks from ALL items. Then enter the ServiceDesk Service Account using Domain\User Name and use the addbutton to enter it in the list. Make certain ONLY the ServiceDesk Service Account is checked before clicking Next.

The Install will fail if this is not done! You will have to detach and delete the DB tables to clear this. Plus Start over

40A. AFTER install – log in as admin@logicbase.comPW admin, setup AD server, turn on AD Syn, SYNC the AD users and then add your Admin users.

1.       Click on the Admin tab > Portal > Master Settings.

2.       Open Process Manager Active Directory Settings.

3.       Enable Active Directory Authentication.

4.       Click on the Save button at the bottom of the screen. 

Pasted from <http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH148103>

45 To emphase once again  NOTE: The Windows Service MUST be configured to use the ServiceDesk Service Account at this point.

Clicking Next at this point WILL result in a failed installation.

50) Configure the ServiceDesk settings and click Continue.

In my environment I had to put in the IP of the local SQL server- where Service desk was being installed- as it was not seeing the FQDM Name

• 2.  RE: notes on new install of Service desk 7.1 and Workflow 7.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 27, 2011 03:25 AM

34A If you want to upgrade your existing SD7.0 install this is where you put in the path to the restored Ensemble 7.0 DB. Symantec does not recommend this. They suggest doing a clean install and migrate incidents and workflows after install

Could you please explain this in a bit more detail. According to Symantec suggestion, how should you migrate incidents and workflows?

• 3.  RE: notes on new install of Service desk 7.1 and Workflow 7.1

Posted Jul 27, 2011 11:31 AM

@toomas I am confused. if you are a symantec employee why are you asking what my take is on a Symantec suggestion?

It appears that the offical symantec upgrade path is to get everything up and running and then run the incident migrate wizard. Nothing on workflow upgrades besides hire someone like me.

page 69 Service Desk implementation 7.1 guide

Creating a clean ServiceDesk 7.1 installation is recommended due to the changes
    in recommended base operating system requirements and recommended database
    server requirements. Additionally, your existing ServiceDesk 7.0 installation
    remains intact and operational as you migrate your customizations to the new
    platform.

On the workflows the symantec offical documentation sucks. in three documents it says run the upgrade on workflow and upgrade workflows with no explanation of what will happen.

I know you suggested  in my other thread that it is documented that you cant run the upgrade. I have not found that documentation yet in the main documentation. See qoutes below from offical documentation. Nor have i found documentation saying dont upgrade your workfows. if you have a offical document on how to upgrade 7.0 workflows to 7.1 I would love to have it

table 4.5 page 46 of Service Desk implementation 7.1 guide

If your organization has modified any workflow projects, back them
    up from their location on the ServiceDesk server computer before you
    upgrade ServiceDesk.
    The default location for the workflow projects is as follows:
    installation directory\altiris\Workflow
    Designer\WorkflowProjects
    During the upgrade, the ServiceDesk Setup wizard displays the
    workflow projects that were updated for the new release. You can
    select the projects to update.
    If your organization modified any of the projects that are listed, you
    have the following options:
    ■ Leave the project’s check box unchecked and do not update your
    modified project.
    ■ Select the check box and overwrite your modified project with the
    updated version.
    If you have a backup of your modified project, you can revert to it
    if necessary

- another consultant talked  about running the project diff wizard to compare the new 7.1 sd.incident workflow and my existing 7.0 mr2 sd.incident workflow. But

that is todays project is to transfer over my workflows. So I will write another document as I go through the process on what bumps i run into as i go

• 4.  RE: notes on new install of Service desk 7.1 and Workflow 7.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 28, 2011 05:12 AM

I'm sorry, I wanted to be sure I understand what you are saying correctly. Incident migration wizard is for upgrade from Helpdesk. For ServiceDesk upgrade, the installation should be performed by upgrading the existing ServiceDesk (7.0) database (Database Configuration page of ServiceDesk install, Update Existing Database option).

Upgrade install from 7.0 MR2 to 7.1 on the same server is also an option, there is nothing that would stop you from doing that. As the Implementation Guide says, it is a just a recommendation to do a clean installation due to new operating system and SQL Server recommendations.

If you are on ServiceDesk with out-of-box workflows and you upgrade ServiceDesk (either way - onbox upgrade or new install with updating existing database), it'll work just fine and you won't have to do any workflow modifications yourself.

I believe documentation, both release notes and Implementation Guide, does state that ServiceDesk workflows will be replaced and you have to re-do any customizations. Unfortunately there is no better or detailed way this can be explained. The Compare Projects functionality in Workflow Manager 7.1 should be helpful in that regard, although probably not as much as it could be, considering there are changes in built-in ServiceDesk workflows from 7.0 to 7.1.

Thank you for bringing out the parts of documentation about selecting workflows to be upgraded, I will try and get some clarification about that scenario.

• 5.  RE: notes on new install of Service desk 7.1 and Workflow 7.1

Posted Jul 28, 2011 11:41 AM

PDF is now published with my notes and screen shots - 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/user-notes-and-updates-service-desk-71-installation-and-upgrade

after spending a day playing workflow their does not appear to be a way to upgrade existing workflows. Especially with the different architeture related to x64 bit and the different ways that workflow solution works wiht storing projects on the SMP server in the Workflow Solution section.

I do like the new libary features and templates that are available in WF 7.1 MP

Today project is is to use the project compare to add in some tech location bits that have been previosuly written

• 6.  RE: notes on new install of Service desk 7.1 and Workflow 7.1
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 09, 2011 11:35 AM

52) Select the ITIL Process Components to be leveraged and then click Continue.

---NOTICE _---- If you check “Use Automation Rules” SD.RoutingRules will not work!

sd.determineassignment, sd.escalation

This means if you had a custom pick list to route tickets by location in determine assignment it will not work !http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH161186

• 7.  RE: notes on new install of Service desk 7.1 and Workflow 7.1

Posted Aug 17, 2011 12:54 AM

Dear Team,

We are implementation Service desk 7.1 in my organization.....So I want add locations in Service desk portal...

Please suggest steb by steb….

BHASKAR.B

• 8.  RE: notes on new install of Service desk 7.1 and Workflow 7.1

Posted Aug 17, 2011 10:59 AM

can you start a different thread and I will answer it. Using process automation rules it is very easy to do. Their is a prerequsite to this to populate the location association to users first.