View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

DS 7.1 SP1 Scripted OS Install failed

Migration User

Migration UserAug 31, 2011 05:56 AM

• 1.  DS 7.1 SP1 Scripted OS Install failed

Posted Jul 29, 2011 02:39 AM

Hi all.
    I trying to deploy windows 7 through a scripted OS install job but every time it fails.
    I’m working in a virtual lab (Vmware  vSphere).

The CMS 7.1 SP1 is installed in a 2008 R2 virtual server and I’m using a VM too as client for my tests
    My job is setup like that:

1    Erase disk

2    Partition disk

3    Install OS windows

During the process the tasks 1 and 2 are success but when task 3 begins it run less or more 10 sec and it fails. It’s like if the sources file are not copied into the client VM.
    I have tried with and without the deploy anywhere option but the result is the same faild after 10 sec.

Somebody have an Idea to help me to figure out why the job faild ?

Other thing I can’t find nowhere a log file, do I have to do something special to active log on DS 7.1 ? There is no really helpful log in the log viewer.

Please help me

Steve

• 2.  RE: DS 7.1 SP1 Scripted OS Install failed

Posted Jul 29, 2011 03:38 AM

You should verify all the OS files got correctly imported into the package folder.

• 3.  RE: DS 7.1 SP1 Scripted OS Install failed

Posted Jul 29, 2011 04:01 AM

Hi Mistral.

Thanks for your post.

What should I see to be sure that every files are corrects ?

• 4.  RE: DS 7.1 SP1 Scripted OS Install failed

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 29, 2011 04:17 AM

Check in the SOI folder for the imported OS packeages i.e. at : <NS_Server>\Deployment\Task Handler\SOI , Check all the setup files are present , check if setup.exe is present . also verify the size of the folder with your source package folder .

Make sure you have imported the correct source folder . for Win XP / Win2k3 you should import the folder i386 and for Windows 7 and Win 2k8 you should import 'Source' folder from OS package ; the package directory in SOI folder at above directory should have directly soources folder.

• 5.  RE: DS 7.1 SP1 Scripted OS Install failed

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 29, 2011 04:19 AM

What method does you used fopr importing OS packages , have you imported form console or from Resource import tool;

Use resource import tool for easy and fast import , it is available at tool at <NS_Server>\Deployment\Task Handler

• 6.  RE: DS 7.1 SP1 Scripted OS Install failed

Posted Jul 29, 2011 04:51 AM

Hi Yogeshsadhu.

yes defectively my OS files was not well imported, I did it again from another source OS and now it works, my job starts the setup.

Thx for that

I just get another thing, know !! just a question, the default configuration setting files should work ?

I get an error telling me that the product key in the default answare files is wrong but the key that i have imported works well if I do a fresh install of win 7 with the same OS package that I use to import the sources folder into the DS ????

• 7.  RE: DS 7.1 SP1 Scripted OS Install failed

Posted Jul 29, 2011 05:40 AM

Should work. Maybe a typo? I once confused x86 and x64 OS keys.

• 8.  RE: DS 7.1 SP1 Scripted OS Install failed

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 29, 2011 07:49 AM

One update , Which i have missed , We have seen an issue while performing Scripted install for Windows 7 SP1 ; It gives the product key issue and fails in betwwen even if the correct product key is entered ;

The workaround for this is use the product key available in the PRODUCT.INI file (Available in the Source) and go ahead with the installation . This is a evaluation key and once the target machine is up you have to provide ther actual key.

This issue is already fixed and will be avilable in the next release , which will be in comming month as MR1.

• 9.  RE: DS 7.1 SP1 Scripted OS Install failed

Posted Jul 29, 2011 10:22 AM

Oky I will try that beginning of the next Week; I will keep you posted of the result

Thanks a lot for your help, I make one more step today and I'm happy with that ;-)

Know I will have to figure out how to customize the answer file to install Windows without any user interacts. If you have a how to or some information it would be really helpful.

• 10.  RE: DS 7.1 SP1 Scripted OS Install failed

Posted Jul 29, 2011 12:57 PM

Scripted OS Install is a task which should have same bitness of OS to be installed and Automation Folder

In your case, you have Win 7 64 bit, make sure you have same bitness of Automation Environment.

Have you booted the machine from PXE or from Automation Folder.

• 11.  RE: DS 7.1 SP1 Scripted OS Install failed

Posted Aug 01, 2011 01:05 PM

Not sure if this is still an issue in SP1 but previously the product key had to be entered including the dashes, ie. XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.

• 12.  RE: DS 7.1 SP1 Scripted OS Install failed

Posted Aug 02, 2011 12:08 PM

Hi.

The machine was booted up from a PXE as I dont user automation folder at the moment.

Thanks for the answare.

• 13.  RE: DS 7.1 SP1 Scripted OS Install failed

Posted Aug 02, 2011 12:11 PM

I have tested the both case but same issue --> it works with a custome answare file but the job faild also, I did not have the tiem to figue it out today.

I will keep you posted asap.

Thanks

• 14.  RE: DS 7.1 SP1 Scripted OS Install failed

Posted Aug 02, 2011 01:10 PM

You can check the version of Automatio Folder from command prompt.

Check somewhere on the title of Automation Folder you see x86 or x64 written.

You can get the info from here.

• 15.  RE: DS 7.1 SP1 Scripted OS Install failed

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 04, 2011 08:37 AM

Check the logfile at client side when it fails , it will be there at x:\ program files\altiris\altiris agent\logs

• 16.  RE: DS 7.1 SP1 Scripted OS Install failed

Posted Aug 04, 2011 09:31 AM

Check also the files on the root on X: drive. There are there the unattended.xml generated file, and the batch used, and the log of the unattended also if I remember well.

We do have the same problem, the default unattended failed, and must use a custom one to make it works. We open and create a Symantec case for that, and provide all the logs (was the case 414-725-599)

But finally, we were not able to test again after deploy the latest SP1, so the Ticket auto-closed, never solved... We use the workaround of a custom file.

• 17.  RE: DS 7.1 SP1 Scripted OS Install failed

Posted Aug 31, 2011 05:56 AM

Yes its works thanks.

• 18.  RE: DS 7.1 SP1 Scripted OS Install failed

Posted Aug 31, 2011 06:02 AM

Now that Sources file and license key has been solved, I get a new strange thing.

During the setup precess I get a windows telling me that there is no images available. but if I check the files present in SOI folder I can see the .wim imgs ???

Somebody has an idea ?

Thanks for all your support