New York Data Loss Prevention User Group

View Only
  • 1.  SNMP trap / MIB for incident reporting to NMS

Posted Apr 27, 2011 09:52 AM

Client is using their 24x7 NOC/SOC to perform after-hours, priority SDLP incident triage -- and hoping to have Enforce dump over to their NMS via SNMP.

Is there out-of-the-box support in the product? If not (and I'm assuming not, given what I've seen/read), has anyone coded something like this before?

Thanks in advance,

-Sean

• 2.  RE: SNMP trap / MIB for incident reporting to NMS

Posted Apr 27, 2011 02:26 PM

Hi Sean -

Hope all is well with you.  You're correct in your assumption...there's no OOTB support for SNMP.  I for one haven't coded anything to do this either, but I've done some research before for this.  There's a number of tools out there that claim to do Syslog to SNMP conversion.  My thought on this (if those tools work as advertised) is that you could easily set up a Syslog response rule that sends to that app, which would convert it to an SNMP event, and there you go.

Not ideal in that it adds a layer there...but buying one of those tools might be a lot cheaper than trying to develop a customization, since you can use the OOTB Syslog response rule in DLP.

Regards,

~Keith

• 3.  RE: SNMP trap / MIB for incident reporting to NMS

Posted Apr 28, 2011 11:46 AM

A first, What data gets added to an Symantec security Information manager V4.5 SNMP trap?

-Type- String value -Incident description from rule incident security TECH 85612

-Veritas operation Manager  3.0(VOM) fixed incident list 2HM 1949421[cluster]: Blank pop-up window appears after probing resources 2cms 1949645 update the copyright year to 2010 through out the VOM 3.0 product 2CMS 1949736 [Rule Manager] SNMP trap is not working  2CMS

- SNMP traps are truncated and are missing a final character when arriving at the dSNMP console,this incident is fixed in VCS5.1 RP1 and above.

-Veritas storage foundation (tm) 4.1 for window fixed incident history 11221301 VSFW does not send the SNMP trap for a DMP path failure to the recipient.

- Confuguring backup Exec System Recovery to send SNMP traps.

-If you use network Management System (NMS) application yopu can configure backup exe system recovery to send SNMP trap for different priority and notification types.

-White paper Template, when Potential problems arise automated recovery actions can be taken to alert you through generating an SNMP trap sending an email ,running a command or creating a alert Manager Incident.

-Altiris.

The actions can include sending an email ,generating an SNMP trap,creating an alert Manager or helpdesk incident and running a command on the monitored computer from the command-line.

-Monitor Solution for Altiris Infrastructure

When potential problems arise,automated actions can be taken to alert you through generating an SNMP trap,sending an email ,running a command and creating an alert Manager Incident.

-Veritas Volume Manager 3.0 for Windows 2000 Hotfix 4 Readme file January 8.2003, SNMP trap notifications cannot be viewed(incident 110988) the hotfix corrects this problem.

-Veritas sanspoint control 3.6

Actions can also involve sending an SNMP trap logging the incident to a file ,or saving the databasse for report generation.