Mac Management Group

View Only
  • 1.  (Not quite) Test Lab setup

Posted Jul 17, 2014 12:37 PM

We are a long time Altiris/SMP shop. As I have mentioned here before, through donwsizing we have brain-drained all knowledge relating to the product. We don't really use it to its full potential and I have been keeping it limping along for the last 3 years, but I have now gotten to a point where I am ready to do an overhaul and get our money's worth out of it.

Current Production environment:

Version: 7.1 SP2 MP1

1 Notifcation Server, with on-box SQL

1 Site Server, in separate geographic locale

It was my intention to set up a 7.5 SP1 validation environment: A separate install (though with off-box SQL), with site server, on the production network, but only using a few machines in each site. The goal being to learn our solutions, write procedures for our needs, and see if the Mac Management goes as we like. Then, due to years of people fiddling with our production environement who had no idea what they were doing, I might decide to make this our produciton environment and phase out our 7.1 install; there is always the chance that while learning in validation I may find out that our production is just fine and will procede with the upgrade.

I have also already started this procedure, using 7.5 SP1's latest supported OSes (All 2012 R2 servers). I used the SIM download from Symantec's site, so currently have all short time licenses. They are a bit too short time for my needs.

I am also using this method to begin ServiceDesk deployment testing. We are still using our unsupported HelpDesk 6.9. We had started migrating to 7.0 when our previous Admin was downsized. He didn't get very far, so I figured I might as well move us to the latest/greatest and keeping our old tickets is not a requirement. These would go on 2008 R2 once I get that far.

Question 1: Does my current ideas make sense? Is it OK, to migrate to a new install and just let the CMDB repopulate on it's own, with all current machines? While we do have the Asset Management piece, we really don't use it, so it's OK for old machine to go away as needed.

Question 2: Is it OK to use our current licenses to try this out? If so, how do I migrate them to the validation environment? I do know where they are stored in Production.

• 2.  RE: (Not quite) Test Lab setup
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 17, 2014 01:26 PM

1. That's exactly how I'd do it. You can use the Software Resource Replicator to migrate software;

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH166711

You can keep the old NS going to help migrate the stragglers.

2. Licences should be fine, after all you're not managing any more endpoints, just moving them across.

You should probably have a Site Server at your main site as well as the remote one - NS shouldn't provide Task Servicess for more than a handful of clients except in the smallest of environments.

• 3.  RE: (Not quite) Test Lab setup

Posted Jul 17, 2014 01:41 PM

Question 1: Does my current ideas make sense?

Yes, I would include a Webgateway to manage clients which are not on VPN.

Is it OK, to migrate to a new install and just let the CMDB repopulate on it's own, with all current machines?

Assuming the hostnames are different, I would disable the following policies:  Software Delivery, Patch, etc, before redirecting clients.  You shouldn't have to uninstall the plugins.

While we do have the Asset Management piece, we really don't use it, so it's OK for old machine to go away as needed.

I would leave the old 7.1 server running for a month or so to see if any clients happen to show up.  I've seen this before, where someone imaged couple hundred desktops with the old servername at the time.  Left them in a warehouse for 5 months than deployed them.  Better yet, I would audit the entire AD domain and see if any clients are still pointing to the old server.

Question 2: Is it OK to use our current licenses to try this out? If so, how do I migrate them to the validation environment? I do know where they are stored in Production

As long as the production and validation envirnoments combined do not exceed the total license count.

Unless someone from SYMC, would like to comment??

• 4.  RE: (Not quite) Test Lab setup

Posted Jul 17, 2014 03:30 PM

Thanks both of you.

One follow up:

I'd like to be in a "middle state" for a bit, where I only have a few clients connecting to the new server where I can test out some things. Well, everything actually. We are in a shamefully wasted  state where we are really only using Deployment Solution as a Ghost server for many indivdual images and Task Server to deploy a custom java software that really just amounts to a folder copy. So, I really need to go through the user manuals for the solutions and really learn them, so I can teach the others. Of course I also have to do all my other stuff, so I only get to twork on this a bit each day - if I am lucky.

So, how do I use our current licenses in the validation environment without doing a full migration before I am ready?

PS. remembering that I am using live machines that are currently on our production server. I am going to migrate a few of them to test, so as not to use any additonal liceses, though we have plenty of room if I wanted some virtual stuff.

• 5.  RE: (Not quite) Test Lab setup

Posted Jul 18, 2014 07:46 AM

Just install your existing licenses on the new server.

• 6.  RE: (Not quite) Test Lab setup

Posted Jul 18, 2014 12:05 PM

Thanks again for your response.

Sorry for not explaining enough, but that's my problem. How do I do that? Do I just copy the license txt files in:

C:\Program Files\Altiris\Symantec Installation Manager\Licenses

from production to validation?

• 7.  RE: (Not quite) Test Lab setup

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 18, 2014 12:21 PM

Unfortunately you can't just copy the file over and call it good. You need to launch the Symantec Installation Manager. You should be able to find it in your Start Menu under Symantec\Symantec Installation Manager\Symantec Installation Manager. Once this is loaded there is an option to view & install licenses. From here you can load 1 or several license files at once for your system.

• 8.  RE: (Not quite) Test Lab setup

Posted Jul 18, 2014 12:25 PM

But can I use the files on the production server for this process?

• 9.  RE: (Not quite) Test Lab setup

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 18, 2014 05:14 PM

Sure - NS licenses just validate the number of managed endpoint and NS does not check if you have the same licenses keys on different NS in the same network (if I understood the concern correctly).

Thank you,

Alex.

• 10.  RE: (Not quite) Test Lab setup

Posted Jul 18, 2014 08:05 PM

For people who need it spelled out for them (like me), yes, after you copy the licenses over (I actually copied them to the root) use the SIM to install them. Worked like a charm. Thanks everyone.