Twin Cities Security User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Endpoint Protection Service Options Grayed Out

Posted Oct 25, 2011 10:54 AM

We are running Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition in our organization version 12.1.671.4971. When I go to Windows Services snap-in and choose Symantec Endpoint Protection the service options are grayed out. Why am I not able to start, stop, or restart the service from this location? I am logged in as a domain admin with full rights on the computer/server in question. I need the ability to stop the service from time to time, on servers especially, for troubleshooting and software configuration. I have looked through the policy settings but I am unable to locate the setting that is disallowing the service run options from the services.msc snap-in. Just to clarify, I am not talking about the disable feature accessible from the Endpoint client. Any suggestions as to where this is enforced in policy or the work around would be appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Endpoint Protection Service Options Grayed Out
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 25, 2011 11:43 AM

Shawn,

that is the symantec management client service. You cannot stop from services.msc.

You can stop it from Run prompt

start

run

type smc -stop

You will be able to do that. Its added as security feature...:) 

• 3.  RE: Endpoint Protection Service Options Grayed Out

Posted Oct 25, 2011 11:49 AM

Thanks. This was one change I guess I missed in the documentation when upgrading to the newer version of this product. The best solutions are often the simplest. smiley