The Water Cooler

View Only
  • 1.  17.05.06.00_MSM_Windows

Posted Apr 24, 2023 12:34 PM

I really need help here please. I've posted here because support for this stuff is very hard to find, and I found some relevant questions had been here...

And please, Ravi Kumar, please don't give me your standard response of:

"I Understand you are looking for support with Broadcom MegaRAID products.

For further assistance on this topic, please visit MegaRAID and HBAs Support

​I hope this helps!​​"

because it doesn't help as aside from logging a support call, there is no help to be found there at all. If there were, I wouldn't be asking this question here!

I have bought a Broadcom MegaRAID card SAS 9341-4i Four-Port 12Gb/s and installed it in a 32Gb 12-core Windows 11 machine (for a client). As it came with no documentation or software, it has taken me some hours to track down the correct downloads and documents. This is what I've used/followed/downloaded:

17.05.06.00_MSM_Windows.zip

javax.activation.jar

As the links in the instructions would go back as fas as version 8u282, I got the 8u282-b08 32bit jre from:
    https://www.openlogic.com/openjdk-downloads?field_java_parent_version_target_id=416&field_operating_system_target_id=436&field_architecture_target_id=386&field_java_package_target_id=396

I followed instructions from:
    https://community.broadcom.com/discussion/bug-in-megaraid-storage-manager-17050600-not-connecting

and I downloaded 17.05.06.00_MSM_Windows.zip from the broadcom site

I also followed this page's instructions:
    https://www.broadcom.com/support/knowledgebase/3211238682012/msm-ver.-17.05.06.00-windows-installation

When I initiate the MegaRAID software there is a quick flash, and then nothing.

The system sees the disks, in fact W11 offers to "Initialise" them for me, but I simply cannot get the RAID management software to run. I've checked and re-checked the instructions above, but still nothing. I've spent hours on this and scoured the internet for clues. There are very few to be found...

Help please!

Cheers, Laurie.

• 2.  RE: 17.05.06.00_MSM_Windows

Community Manager
    Posted Apr 24, 2023 12:40 PM

@Laurie Brown  @Ravi Kumar B is from Global Customer Support and can definitive point you in the right direction when we do not have a support community that maps to your product or question.    It sounds like the equipment you purchased was 2nd hand with no documentation.   Ravi's recommendation would be your best bet.     Thank you Jason McClellan, Platform Admin

------------------------------
    Thank you
    Jason
    Broadcom Community Platform Admin, IT

• 3.  RE: 17.05.06.00_MSM_Windows

Posted Apr 24, 2023 02:37 PM

Thanks for the repl, Jason.

Yes, I appreciate Ravi's position, but everywhere I look, his reply is the same, and when I go to the page he suggests there is no real help aside from logging a call (which I have done).

Further, the card I bought was brand new from a local supplier. It did indeed come with no documentation. There was a link on the box to a Broadcom search page which has proven very difficult to navigate and understand. It was in desperation that I came here and posted as I did - led here by Google.

Cheers, Laurie.

• 4.  RE: 17.05.06.00_MSM_Windows

Community Manager
    Posted Apr 24, 2023 05:09 PM

@Laurie Brown  - a few questions without any specific details about your purchase on the open forum. 

-  company name who sold it to you
    -  did you purchase a support contract
    -  any other generic info

I will send to our internal group if this is an authorized reseller or partner.    Thx ~jm

Thank you
    Jason

• 5.  RE: 17.05.06.00_MSM_Windows

Posted Apr 25, 2023 12:15 PM

Ok, well I've managed to get this MSM software installed and running. I got the info and the files from amother person who had the same problem and solved it.

I almost had it right, but not quite, and the Broadcom instructions in the readme are not quite right.

The link to the instructions (and a link to the correct files to download) is:

https://www.soholabs.conram.it/infrastructure/installing-lsi-avago-megaraid-storage-manager/

My grateful thanks to the unknown person who posted this solution, and I hope it helps someone else in the future.

Cheers, Laurie.

• 6.  RE: 17.05.06.00_MSM_Windows

Community Manager
    Posted Apr 25, 2023 01:52 PM

@Laurie Brown  - my internal team provided these links for the EOL product you purchased.  I hope they are helpful.   Thx ~jm

Legacy, EOL Support options:
    Other resources related MegaRaid:
    Installation Guide:
    User Guide:
    Raid Controller Cards:

Thank you
    Jason