vSphere Hypervisor

View Only
  • 1.  how to use HP smart array B110i RAID controller (software)

Posted Dec 21, 2011 05:48 PM

I'm just purchased a new HP Proliant ML 150 G6 server with embedded Smart Array B110i SATA Raid controller.

Searching on this forum I've discoverd that it is a software RAID controller and not an hardware RAID controller and - for this reason - is not recognised by vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi 5).

The question is, at this point, wich are the best way to use the three 250 GB SATA disk that I've purcahsed for reach a reasonable fault tolerance?

In my mind, in fact, before to discover this - bad - notice, there was the project to use the first two disk in a RAID 1 configuration on wich install ESXi and the VM's datastore and use the third this for VM's backup purpose.

But this is impossible

The only idea that now I have is to:

1) install ESXi on the first disk

2) create a RAID 1 array between the second and third disk and use this array as VM's datastore (thet will be fault tolerant).

Is possible to do this?

Is this a good idea?

Is there any other way/method to use the three disk in most efficient way (always for faulting tolerance purpose)?

Thanks in advance to all.

• 2.  RE: how to use HP smart array B110i RAID controller (software)

Posted Dec 21, 2011 05:51 PM

I'm afraid you will have no luck with the B110i controller. To be able to use the disk in a RAID array you need a controller like the P410 and if you want to have a good performance you should also get a 512MB or 1GB BBWC/FBWC module for the controller.

André

• 3.  RE: how to use HP smart array B110i RAID controller (software)

Posted Dec 22, 2011 12:51 AM

Regardless of the fact this controller cannot be made to work - you appear to have a process of implementing backups by storing backup data on the same server as your production data.

I would heavily recommend against this. Although it will protect you from a disk failure, there are plenty more ways to lose data.

• 4.  RE: how to use HP smart array B110i RAID controller (software)

Posted Dec 22, 2011 08:45 AM

Yes, I know that is more secure to store backups data on another location, external to the server.

In fact all VM's backups will be definitively stored on a NAS Server.

But the reason of this post was "wich is the more efficient way to use my hw (the three disks) to reach a reasonable fault tolerance of the entire system ?

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

• 5.  RE: how to use HP smart array B110i RAID controller (software)

Posted Dec 28, 2011 07:33 AM

Hi,

as you know, the B110i RAID is a software raid and you will not be able to create a raid 1 between the 2nd and 3rd disk.

As it seems to me that buying a "true" raid controller is not an option (and so also buying some software is not an option),  I think that you can try to leverage GhettoVCB script (http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8760) to backup your VM from disk 2 to disk 3: depending on the size of your VM you can have more frequent backups (hourly backup for example).

This is not a true fault tolerance or ha settings, think of it as a kind of "smart backup": If/when a disk fail, you can start the VM from the other disk.

Giuseppe

--
    Giuseppe
    @gguglie
    vExpert 2011

• 6.  RE: how to use HP smart array B110i RAID controller (software)

Posted Dec 29, 2011 05:03 PM

Ciao Giuseppe,

grazie delle tue risposte a due miei post.

In ogni caso Il mio dubbio riguardava il fatto se, avendo avuto la fregatura di non poter utilizzare il controller RAID onboard, c'era un modo per incrementare l'affidabilità del sistema utilizzando al meglio i tre dischi a disposizione.

Per esempio installando il datastore su un disco separato con la speranza che il primo disco (quello con ESXi) essendo meno utilizzato fosse meno soggetto a guasti ed utilizzando il terzo disco per fare backup delle VM's contenute nel datastore.

Comunque:

Happy new year to all members of this useful forum!

Cosimo

http://cosimomercuro.wordpress.com