ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Dell PowerEdge T110 for ESX4 - Any experiences?

Posted Jun 11, 2010 09:27 AM

Hello All -

I'm trying to get a Home Lab put together to get up to speed on VMWare ESX4 and VSphere. I've been looking into building my own set of whitebox machines, but then stumbled onto a good deal at Dell on a PowerEdge T110 for $399. I see that it is listed as being compatible with ESX4/ESXi4 on VMW's Compatibiliy Guide. I'm trying to get a setup that will let me play around with most features without breaking the bank.

I understand that this server currently does not support FT, maybe it will in the future? Is there anything else I should be aware about before making my purchase? I plan on using an openfiler SAN for my datastores and I'm not opposed to installing on a USB stick if I have to. Proc is an Intel X3430.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Dell PowerEdge T110 for ESX4 - Any experiences?

Posted Jun 11, 2010 02:37 PM

Hello,

Are you buying 1 server or 2? This would have an effect on how much memory you should purchase. If you are buying one make sure that you purchase enough memory to run the number of Virtual machines that you wish to use in your lab.

You will need to be able to run a Domain controller, a vCenter server, openfiler and an other VM's that you would want to use.

With a single host you can run ESX within ESX so that you can practice some of the cooler features. But a nested ESX server cannot do FT even if the processor is support.

These are just general tips and not specific to the T110.

Best of luck with your lab.

VMware VCP - Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

• 3.  RE: Dell PowerEdge T110 for ESX4 - Any experiences?

Posted Jun 11, 2010 06:19 PM

Hi Jordan, Thanks for the response.

I plan to get 2 of these servers. Both will come with 2GB of Memory, I'm sure that will be enough to get me started and I will probably upgrade that later.

I will put VC on a VM. I have other, older hardware that I will use for domain controllers and the SAN.

Does anyone else have any experience with this particular server?

• 4.  RE: Dell PowerEdge T110 for ESX4 - Any experiences?

Posted Jun 11, 2010 06:33 PM

The T110 IS listed in the HCL however the most basic model may not without additional components or the right processor option. The disk controller will not support hardware RAID.

• 5.  RE: Dell PowerEdge T110 for ESX4 - Any experiences?

Posted Jun 11, 2010 06:35 PM

Also you will have trouble running much with only 2GB RAM since that is the minimum required to install ESXi.

• 6.  RE: Dell PowerEdge T110 for ESX4 - Any experiences?

Posted Jun 11, 2010 06:39 PM

Good poing I was gonna mention 2 GB being the minimum. There are some blog posts out there that show you how to edit a file to lower the min. to around 1.3gb but that still does not give you much to work with.

VMware VCP - Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

• 7.  RE: Dell PowerEdge T110 for ESX4 - Any experiences?

Posted Jun 11, 2010 06:52 PM

Another thing to consider is running ESXi inside VMware Workstation. Creating the ESXi VM(s) is directly supported. You need lots of RAM but it is possible to do lots of complex testing. The only thing you can't do is install 64bit guests inside the ESXi guest VMs.

• 8.  RE: Dell PowerEdge T110 for ESX4 - Any experiences?

Posted Jun 12, 2010 01:09 AM

OK, looks like everyone is in agreement, more memeory. I'll bump these guys up to 4GB of memory each. That should hopefully get me started, at least for now.

• 9.  RE: Dell PowerEdge T110 for ESX4 - Any experiences?

Posted Jun 12, 2010 04:11 AM

Well, I just ordered my hardware. I'll chime back in and let you guys know how it all turned out.

And for the record, this has got to be the cheapest route you can go to get a lab setup right now for ESX4, at least for the next couple days. :smileywink:

I was able to get another $100 off so after all said and done I recieved 2 of the following:

PowerEdge T110

Memory 4GB Memory (4x1GB), 1333MHz, Single Ranked UDIMM

Processor Intel® Xeon® X3430, 2.4 GHz, 8M Cache, Turbo

Network Adapter On-Board Single Gigabit Network Adapter

Optical Drive DVD Drive, Internal

Configuration Onboard SATA, 1-4 Hard Drives connected to onbaord SATA Controller -No RAID

250GB 7.2K RPM SATA 3.5" Cabled Hard Drive

All for $378.00 each. Smokin' Deal if you ask me.

If anyone is interested, here is a link to cart the same config:

http://ecomm.dell.com/dellstore/basket_retrieve.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&itemtype=CFG&cart_id=1009635508401

AND, here is the code for an extra $100 bucks off: W51FFWZ6C1F14G