vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  CPU usage at 100% on guests after VMotion

Posted May 22, 2008 11:46 PM

Hi,

On ESX 3.5 and Virtual Center 2.5 after I tell a ESX server to enter Maintenance mode, it VMotions all the VM's off (as it should with DRS), but then all the VM's go into 100% CPU usage. If I reboot the Virtual Center machine, then everything is ok again.

What is going on?

Jim

• 2.  RE: CPU usage at 100% on guests after VMotion
    Best Answer

Posted May 23, 2008 02:11 AM

Hi Jim, perhaps this KB article is related - http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003638.

• 3.  RE: CPU usage at 100% on guests after VMotion

Posted May 23, 2008 03:38 AM

apply ESX3.5 Update 1 + Virtual Center Server 2.5 Update 1, the April-30 patch seems have brought back this problem again. so do NOT apply the 04-30-2008 patch.

• 4.  RE: CPU usage at 100% on guests after VMotion

Posted May 23, 2008 11:38 AM

Like Dave said...

Had the same problem few days ago. This helps for me!

1. Log on to the VirtualCenter Server Console as an administrator.

2. Make a backup copy of the vpxd.cfg file (typically it is located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\vpxd.cfg).

3. In the vpxd.cfg file, add the following configuration between the <vpxd> and the </vpxd> tags:

<cluster>

<VMOverheadGrowthLimit>5</VMOverheadGrowthLimit>

</cluster>

This configuration provides an initial growth margin in MB-to-virtual machine overhead memory. You can increase this amount to larger values if doing so further improves virtual machine performance.

4. Restart the VMware VirtualCenter Server Service.

Note: When you restart the VMware VirtualCenter Server Service, the new value for the overhead limit should be pushed down to all the clusters in VirtualCenter.