ESXi

View Only

302 Errors on Attempted Backups with Cohesity

• 1.  302 Errors on Attempted Backups with Cohesity

Posted Nov 11, 2022 04:31 PM

We are running into a very elusive problem with a proof of concept with 'Cohesity', which is a backup platform similar to Rubrick and such.

Just to note, we do have a case open with VMWare, but I thought I would post the question here all the same, just in case someone has run into a similar issue.

Some VMs backup all the time, some fail sporadically, and some fail all of the time. We have already dug deep looking for any commonality in this (ESX server, Datastores, VM Hardware versions, VM tools versions) and can find nothing. Cohesity's support hasn't seen this issue before and VMWare isn't sure what to make of it either.

We have also bypassed vSphere and targeted the ESXi server directly with local root accounts to try to get the backups. The failure symptoms do not change.

I'm not so much asking anyone to try to assist with troubleshooting as much as inquiring if anyone has run into a similar problem using a tool that works with the VMWare API. I have found very little regarding the 302 errors. We did suspect things like a security device or issues with the MTU over the wan being reduced due to SDWAN/Security - but with connecting directly at the site to the ESXi server, it almost rules out those possible causes, as the traffic would all be local on the LAN. 

(Backup task failed with error: [kVSphereError]: Error 302 fault: SOAP-ENV:Server[no subcode] "HTTP Error" Detail: HTTP/1.1 302 Page Moved) << This is the specific error we end up with on the problematic VMs.

Thing is - some of these do work on the same ESXi hosts, versions, etc.

I'm not so much asking anyone to try to assist with troubleshooting as much as inquiring if anyone has run into a similar problem and perhaps found a resolution. You know.. we're at the 'WTF' stage now