ESXi

 View Only
  • 1.  2 Node Cluster on single ESXi

    Posted Jun 06, 2012 05:37 AM

    Hello All,

    Is it possible to create a 2 Node cluster ona single ESX host? If so how to share the storage (LUNs) to both the virtual machines? I want both the virtual machines to have raw device access (physical).



  • 2.  RE: 2 Node Cluster on single ESXi

    Posted Jun 06, 2012 05:41 AM

    Luns should be shared with same LUN id to all of the esx hosts in the node.



  • 3.  RE: 2 Node Cluster on single ESXi

    Posted Jun 06, 2012 06:08 AM

    Thanks for the reply. As soon as i assign a LUN to a host through RDM, It disappears from the LUN list. What can be done?



  • 4.  RE: 2 Node Cluster on single ESXi

    Posted Jun 06, 2012 06:12 AM

    linuxalbert wrote:

    Thanks for the reply. As soon as i assign a LUN to a host through RDM, It disappears from the LUN list. What can be done?

    See, if you are trying to make RDM using the LUNs then its obivious that you won't see them when going for another creation else you would see in the storage tab against you esx boxes.

    Let me understand few things here, have you shared the LUN's in a proper way and is it visible from both the hosts? Are you getting any error creating RDMs?



  • 5.  RE: 2 Node Cluster on single ESXi

    Posted Jun 06, 2012 06:20 AM

    using "Edit Settings" I add the LUNs the a host using RDM successfully. Now when I edit the settings to add the same LUN to other node, I can't see the LUNs assigned to the first node in the RDM LUN list.  Can you please tell me how to share storage between the cluster nodes. Any other way would do.



  • 6.  RE: 2 Node Cluster on single ESXi

    Posted Jun 06, 2012 06:29 AM

    linuxalbert wrote:

    using "Edit Settings" I add the LUNs the a host using RDM successfully. Now when I edit the settings to add the same LUN to other node, I can't see the LUNs assigned to the first node in the RDM LUN list.  Can you please tell me how to share storage between the cluster nodes. Any other way would do.

    absolutely, you won't see it because you have used it in creating - I have mentioned in the previous comment.

    Now for the 2nd node you have to select "Use an existing virtual disk" and locate the datastore/folder where you have kept your RDM when doing with your first instance.



  • 7.  RE: 2 Node Cluster on single ESXi

    Posted Jun 06, 2012 07:06 AM

    I shared the vmdk file with the other node. Now when I start the second node it fails saying "failed to lock the file. Cannot open the disk ..."



  • 8.  RE: 2 Node Cluster on single ESXi

    Posted Jun 06, 2012 07:08 AM

    For this , you need to do scsi bus sharing.

    In vm edit setting: Scsi controller->Select virtual mode.

    For both the vms you need to select this. and then power on the vm.



  • 9.  RE: 2 Node Cluster on single ESXi

    Posted Jun 06, 2012 07:13 AM

    linuxalbert wrote:

    I shared the vmdk file with the other node. Now when I start the second node it fails saying "failed to lock the file. Cannot open the disk ..."

    okie, now you should have similar iscsi controllers on both the nodes. Use something like 1:0 for your disks across both the nodes.

    refer the document.

    http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_mscs.pdf



  • 10.  RE: 2 Node Cluster on single ESXi

    Posted Jun 06, 2012 06:58 AM

    Hi,

    VM Node1

    Add Device --> Hard Disk --> System/LUN

    Goto

    VM Node2

    Add Device --> Hard Disk --> System/LUN

    Node 1

    Select Target LUN "vmhba1:1:18" --> Select Meta File Location "VOL01" --> Enter name "servername1-M.vmdk --> Select Virtual Device "1:1" -->Select Physical

    Now WAIT

    Goto

    VM Node 2

    Select Target LUN "vmhba1:1:18" --> Select Meta File Location "VOL01" --> Enter name "servername2-M.vmdk --> Select Virtual Device "1:1" -->Select Physical

    Click Ok on Node1 --> then Click Ok on Node2

    This creates the 2 RDM files for both Node1, and Node2, and powers up successfully...