Fusion

View Only
  • 1.  Enable external GPU in Fusion Player under Monterey

Posted Sep 26, 2022 05:53 PM

I am using VMWare Fusion Player on a 27" iMac running Monterey 12.6. I have a Windows program that uses the GPU. It runs fine under Crossover, but under Fusion Player the GPU is not recognized. How do I get Fusion Player to recognize the external GPU? The manual and the knowledge base says go to the Player setting -> Display and check the "Use external GPU" box, but there is no such box in that setting.

Is it possible to enable the external GPU in Player?

• 2.  RE: Enable external GPU in Fusion Player under Monterey

Posted Sep 26, 2022 07:09 PM

IIRC: The GPU support for Fusion isn't directly exposed to the virtual machine. The VM sees a VMware virtual graphics adapter. The virtual machine does not have direct access to the host's GPU (either internal or external) that would allow it to use something like CUDA to run compute applications on it.

Do you have an eGPU attached to your Mac?  I don't think you'll see the "Prefer External GPU" checkbox in the Display section of the VM's setting unless it's present. At least it's not in a Mac that I have that doesn't have an eGPU box attached.

And any eGPU support only speeds up graphics rendering for the VM. Still no ability to run compute code in the GPU from a VM.

• 3.  RE: Enable external GPU in Fusion Player under Monterey

Posted Sep 26, 2022 07:28 PM

I think you are right TG. I thought "external GPU" referred to a GPU external to the Fusion Player, not an attached GPU

I decided to try Player vs. Parallels because Fusion seemed to be better integrated with the mac hardware, including the GPU and the ability to run compute code. It also seems to run everything else I need satisfactorily. Just the one program that fails, and it also fails under Parallels.

Thanks for the info!

• 4.  RE: Enable external GPU in Fusion Player under Monterey

Posted Sep 26, 2022 07:46 PM

That's exactly right - it's an eGPU that Fusion uses for it's rendering and to accelerate the virtual graphics adapter.  It's not exposed directly to the guest.  If you need to run compute code, native is about the only option that'll work reliably (hint, look for linux code vs windows code).

Note that M1 doesn't support eGPU, so keep that in mind if you're upgrading.  That said, native compute code runs amazingly fast on the M1.