Fusion

View Only
  • 1.  Will it work?

Posted Jan 10, 2010 05:27 PM

Hi.

I am seriously considering a mac as the PC is far, far too slow - but I need to retain the Windows XP software etc... (for ease and economic reasons).I use XP and I do soe programming for the odd website and I use the likes of git and I have saved sessions to log onto servers at the command line prompt - these are saved on my USB stick. I need to be sure that these continue to work (they are basically linuxfor Windows). I also use the GUI for Bacula for backup on windows; and a few other 'linux' type utilities but they run under XP.

For example when logging on I am asked for a password for my saved sessions, this enables me to start a sessionon a server and simply logon using a user name as the encryption key used at logon has stored all other passwords.

I also need to be able to logon to the internal network on both XP and Mac as I use an MS Access based DB that also uses MS.

The questions are these:

1. Will I be able to logon to the network on both XP and Mac at the same time?

2. Do I use the normal logon and then flick between XP and Mac OS - and does it just logon say using Mac OS then I flick between XP and Mac OS? Or do i have to logon to each OS separately - both Mac OS and XP?

3. Will such things as described above work O.K.?

4. How easy is it to transfer an entire PC to a Mac?

5. Will it be any faster on a Mac - I have looked at Mac mini but been advised to get an iMac - I also do design work - graphically intense - write a lot of reports/articles/books and I see minimum RAM for the partition is 5GB - so will I require- realistically - say 16GB?

6. I also like Ubuntu and Open Office for some stuff - I assume this runs O.K.?

Many thanks for your assistance in advance.

bigapb.

• 2.  RE: Will it work?

Posted Jan 10, 2010 06:11 PM

The questions are these:

Yes, XP running under Fusion can share your network connection (NAT) or XP can have it's own IP address on the network.

2. Do I use the normal logon and then flick between XP and Mac OS - and does it just logon say using Mac OS then I flick between XP and Mac OS? Or do i have to logon to each OS separately - both Mac OS and XP?

You will have two OS's installed OS X and XP. Normally you have to login into both OS's. But you control all the options and you can make either or both OS's to require logins or to go a desktop without any logins. You can also activate separate screensavers and require each OS to enter password to unlock, or not. Again you have all the options.

3. Will such things as described above work OK?

Whatever you can do with XP you can do Fusion on OS X, including accessing USB drives. You will have to share or connect your USB device to XP depending on how you set it up but there is nothing you described that would not be possible. Mostly it depends on you to learn the program and how it works.

VMware provides at least two ways to import a PC: PC2Mac in Fusion and the more general VMware Converter. The difficulty level depends on your setup and skills. PC2Mac is designed for relative ease. If you are good at reading documentation and following directions, it should be straight forward. Keep in mind most XP licenses are not designed to be moved from the PC they shipped with creating a need to re-activate the license after moving. This is your responsibility, not the transfer software so you may need to plan for this.

5. Will it be any faster on a Mac - I have looked at Mac mini but been advised to get an iMac - I also do design work - graphically intense - write a lot of reports/articles/books and I see minimum RAM for the partition is 5GB - so will I require- realistically - say 16GB?

Faster hardware means your virtual machines will run faster. If your old PC is slow, a new Mac or PC will be inherently faster. Based on the specs of the latest mini to an iMac, an iMac would almost certainly be faster.

XP can install in as little as 5 GB, depending on how many applications and documents you plan to have you should size your virtual disk accordingly. You probably don't want to make your disk any smaller than the PC you're importing unless you have a lot of free space and can afford to trim down.

6. I also like Ubuntu and Open Office for some stuff - I assume this runs OK?

Read through the docs. Ubuntu 9.10 (latest as of now) is a supported guest OS, both in 32-bit and 64-bit. OpenOffice is an application that can run on OS X or XP. It works fine under XP in Fusion.

• 3.  RE: Will it work?

Posted Jan 10, 2010 06:30 PM

Yes

Host and Guests are separate and it will be depending on your particular configuration how/what you will need to do however things can be configured many different ways to achieve your needs/wants.

3. Will such things as described above work O.K.?

Not familiar with everything you mentioned above however I do not see and issues. Generally speaking basically you can do on a Virtual Machine the things you do on a Physical Machine.

It's relatively easy however if the PC is using a OEM version of Windows then you're not entitled to transfer it to another system, physical or virtual as it would violate its EULA. Generally speaking though a clean built Virtual Machine will be less problematic and will in all likelihood preform better then a P2V scenario.

I personally would probably never buy a Mac Mini and would buy an iMac or Mac Pro although I get by with a MacBook Pro. As far as how much RAM you need to calculate that based on you true needs vs wants and cost and you'll have to decide that however one paradigm I've always found true for how I use computer is that I will always use the available RAM and Hard Drive space it has and more vs less has always been better.

6. I also like Ubuntu and Open Office for some stuff - I assume this runs O.K.?

You should have no problems running these.

• 4.  RE: Will it work?

Posted Jan 14, 2010 11:02 AM

Thank you so much to all of you.

Works like a dream!