Fusion

View Only
  • 1.  Google Chrome 100+ renders poorly on Mac VMs

Posted May 11, 2022 11:37 PM
      |   view attached

Since version 100, Google Chrome (and apps built with Electron using Chromium 100 or greater) in Mac VMs renders with what appear to be blank white spaces. Anything that can be interacted with is still there, as can be confirmed by hovering over, clicking on, or blindly entering text into the invisible area, but the areas remain white. In the attached screen recording Chrome.mp4 you can see that some of the expected browser elements are entirely invisible or flicker upon mouseover.

I observe this problem only in Mac VMs, not in other OSs, and only on Chrome (and related) versions 100 or more recent. I'm running VMware Fusion 12.2.3. In the settings of the affected VMs I have confirmed that 3D graphics is disabled, which is the only setting that I can find that seems relevant.

I suspect the problem is with my setup, because my colleagues run the same Electron app in Mac VMs on the same version of Fusion that I do, and they do not see this problem. Before posting here I searched this forum and the fine web without finding other reports of this problem, which also suggests that I have something messed up locally.

What might I try to get Chrome and Electron apps rendering properly on my VMs?

Video

• 2.  RE: Google Chrome 100+ renders poorly on Mac VMs

Posted May 12, 2022 01:04 PM

What Mac model?

macOS version in both host and guest?

Are latest VMware tools installed in guest?

• 3.  RE: Google Chrome 100+ renders poorly on Mac VMs

Posted May 12, 2022 03:38 PM

: Those are good questions. I should have provided that information in my original report.

The host is a 2019 MacBook Pro running macOS 12.3.1 and VMware Fusion 12.2.3. Both Mac VMs (but no other VMs) are affected. They are:

• macOS 12.3 Beta (21E5212f) with VMware Tools 11.3.5.31214 (build-18557794)
    • macOS 11.6.5 (20G521) with VMware Tools 11.0.6.19689 (build-15940789).

• 4.  RE: Google Chrome 100+ renders poorly on Mac VMs

Posted May 12, 2022 03:24 PM

This is classic behavior for applications that require 3d acceleration, which isn't available for Mac guests.  There was experimental support in an earlier version of Fusion, but I believe it broke a while back.

• 5.  RE: Google Chrome 100+ renders poorly on Mac VMs

Posted May 12, 2022 03:55 PM

: What you say makes a lot of sense, though I am confounded that my colleagues do not see the rendering problem in their Mac VMs, nor do I see others in this forum reporting that Google Chrome does not render properly in Mac VMs.

• 6.  RE: Google Chrome 100+ renders poorly on Mac VMs

Posted May 12, 2022 04:29 PM

Honestly, there's not many mac VM's out there, and they tend to be for older versions so that wouldn't surprise me.  Are your colleagues on the 12.3 beta too?  Maybe something broke in it.

• 7.  RE: Google Chrome 100+ renders poorly on Mac VMs

Posted May 12, 2022 07:48 PM

Hi,

though I am confounded that my colleagues do not see the rendering problem in their Mac VMs, nor do I see others in this forum reporting that Google Chrome does not render properly in Mac VMs.

There are many factors that might make a difference, like the actual GPU that is being used in your mac. If you have a laptop with both a dedicated and integrated GPU things it does not help for troubleshooting.

Here's a link for disabling GPU hardware acceleration:

https://www.lifewire.com/hardware-acceleration-in-chrome-4125122

Disabling that will most likely fix your issues.

--
    Wil

• 8.  RE: Google Chrome 100+ renders poorly on Mac VMs
    Best Answer

Posted May 12, 2022 10:52 PM

: Thank you! Although the rendering problem makes it impossible to view or change Chrome's settings within Chrome itself as the link describes, your suggestion did inspire me to disable Chrome's hardware acceleration from the command line with:

open -a "Google Chrome.app" --args --disable-gpu

With that Chrome renders properly. Even better, that solves my underlying problem: the Electron app I am QAing also renders properly when I launch it with --disable-gpu. That's a neat trick I learned today, so thanks again for that wila.

• 9.  RE: Google Chrome 100+ renders poorly on Mac VMs

Posted May 12, 2022 10:56 PM

Haha.. yes I the --disable-gpu chrome flag is a familiar one to me. Too familiar one might say as I just spent some time adding support for that on a control.

That should work too.
    There's probably also a possibility to use a specific URL like chrome://settings that you can use.

--
    Wil

• 10.  RE: Google Chrome 100+ renders poorly on Mac VMs

Posted May 12, 2022 11:50 PM

(Deleted - missed the earlier replies which already answered my followup questions.)