Fusion

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Disable Lion Full Screen Mode

• 1.  Disable Lion Full Screen Mode

Posted Dec 16, 2011 06:04 PM

Is it possible to disable Fusion's use of OSX's full screen mode, and go back to the way it was in SL, or am I SoL? (har har)

I absolutly hate full screen mode. That goes double for fusion's use of it.  It definitely makes my life more difficult. :smileysilly:

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Disable Lion Full Screen Mode

Posted Dec 20, 2011 03:55 PM

I don't have an answer, but allow me to second this.  I'd love to be able to use the old Snow Leopard-style full screen with Fusion 4.  The reason is that I use keyboard shortcuts to flip from screen to screen (i.e. control-1 for screen 1, control-2 for screen 2, etc).  My Linux box is control-4, and has been for many years.  Unfortunately, the Lion full-screen mode is not a "screen" in that sense, and you can't use a keyboard shortcut to get to it.  I have to either take my hands off the keyboard to use the mouse, or switch to screen 3 and then control-right arrow.

• 3.  RE: Disable Lion Full Screen Mode

Posted Jan 03, 2012 06:19 PM

I'd like to vote for this as well.   I don't see the point in lion's full screen mode.   I'm constantly changing between virtual environments, using drag n drop, etc.   This make it almost impossible to do anything other than use the VM.   Please let us turn off this "feature".

• 4.  RE: Disable Lion Full Screen Mode

Posted Jan 05, 2012 07:31 PM

You can switch to the full screen minibar (View > Full Screen Minibar > Always show) and hide the full Fusion menu and toolbar (View > Hide Menu Bar in Full Screen) then drag the minibar to the top edge of the display.

You can still use keyboard shortcuts to jump to a specific space on Lion, as detailed in item 3 here: http://mattgemmell.com/2011/07/27/using-spaces-on-os-x-lion/

Simon

• 5.  RE: Disable Lion Full Screen Mode

Posted Jan 05, 2012 07:43 PM

Simon B wrote:

You can still use keyboard shortcuts to jump to a specific space on Lion, as detailed in item 3 here: http://mattgemmell.com/2011/07/27/using-spaces-on-os-x-lion/

Simon

Unfortunately, you can't.  You can only use keyboard shortcuts to jump to a *desktop* in Lion.  A full-screen app like Fusion is not a desktop, and so cannot be targeted by a keyboard shortcut.  Try it: say you have three spaces, the middle one being Fusion in full-screen mode and the other two being regular desktops (i.e. not full-screen apps).  You can use control-1 to jump to desktop 1 (the leftmost space), and control-2 to jump to desktop 2 (the rightmost space).  You cannot jump to the middle space as it isn't a desktop.  At best, you can jump to desktop 1 and then hit the arrow key to move right a space.

That's why we're asking for a way to optionally use the old-style full-screen mode.  In this mode, it's just (effectively) a very large window on a regular desktop, and can thus be targeted by a keyboard shortcut.

I understand that Lion full-screen mode has its advantages, but since it can't be targeted by a keyboard shortcut, it's a showstopper for me.  I'm stuck on VMware 3.1.3 because I can't use 4.x.

• 6.  RE: Disable Lion Full Screen Mode

Posted Jan 05, 2012 08:16 PM

Oh, I understand. Command-Tab works for me but here goes.

1. Create an AppleScript to activate the VMware Fusion application:

tell application "VMware Fusion" to activate

2. Use FastScripts to assign a global shortcut to the applescript:

http://www.red-sweater.com/fastscripts/

Shortcuts are set under the FastScripts preferences. I believe Quicksilver or Alfred have equivalent functionality if you're using one of those.

• 7.  RE: Disable Lion Full Screen Mode