Fusion

View Only
  • 1.  Weired Mouse in Windows Server 2003 on Beta 4

Posted Jun 19, 2007 07:12 PM

Hi,

I have converted a Windows Virtual PC Image to a VM for Fusion Beta 4. Worked fine - not the slightest trouble. (Btw.: Parallels was not able to convert these images). The resulting machine started fine, Mouse was slow but no surprise, since the VMware Tools were not installed. After installing the Tools the keyboard is ok, but the mouse "does not get the focus" in the VM-Window. Strange thing: Using the right button opens some contextmenue from the taskbar or so. But the left-click (primary) does not work at all - no reaction from the VM.

Any idea?

TIA, Ingo

• 2.  RE: Weired Mouse in Windows Server 2003 on Beta 4

Posted Jun 19, 2007 08:57 PM

New findings: Removing the VMware tools from within Windows reverts a functional but slows the mouse. Reinstalling the VMware Tools again, breaks the mouse as described above.

To refine the error description: If I move the mouse inside of the VM-window and do NOT click the task bar changes to something like "To release ... Ctrl-Apple". If I move the mouse out of the window of the VM I get a task bar saying something like "To use the mouse inside of the Vm click into its window". Again, w/o clicking - so its a mouse-over-effect :smileyhappy:

• 3.  RE: Weired Mouse in Windows Server 2003 on Beta 4

Posted Jun 19, 2007 09:07 PM

To refine the error description: If I move the mouse

inside of the VM-window and do NOT click the task bar

changes to something like "To release ...

Ctrl-Apple". If I move the mouse out of the window of

the VM I get a task bar saying something like "To use

the mouse inside of the Vm click into its window".

Again, w/o clicking - so its a mouse-over-effect :smileyhappy:

That's expected behavior, it means your keystrokes are directed at the VM. No idea why your left/right clicks aren't working (depending on if the window has focus, the first one might be lost bringing it to the front).

• 4.  RE: Weired Mouse in Windows Server 2003 on Beta 4

Posted Jun 28, 2007 11:49 AM

I had experienced the same issue with VMWare Server 1.0.3.

I have converted a number of Windows 2003 Server and Windows XP Professional VirtualPC 2004 SP1 VM's to VMWare VM's and have had to rollback the mouse drivers in each VM to the default Microsoft PS/2 mouse in order to have a fully functional mouse after installing VMWare Tools. I have kept the other device drivers installed to maximise VM performance and functionality.

Regards,

Bennopia.

• 5.  RE: Weired Mouse in Windows Server 2003 on Beta 4

Posted Jun 28, 2007 12:44 PM

I have converted a Windows Virtual PC Image to a VM

for Fusion Beta 4. Worked fine - not the slightest

trouble. (Btw.: Parallels was not able to convert

these images). The resulting machine started fine,

Mouse was slow but no surprise, since the VMware

Tools were not installed. After installing the Tools

the keyboard is ok, but the mouse "does not get the

focus" in the VM-Window. Strange thing: Using the

right button opens some contextmenue from the taskbar

or so. But the left-click (primary) does not work at

all - no reaction from the VM.

Any idea?

I wonder if the VPC mouse settings or hidden services are still left around.

Assuming you still have the VPC image around, can you make a copy of it. In the copy of the VPC image, install VMware Converter and then uninstall their tools (Additions I believe they are called) with a restart before running the conversation.

Pat